A sub-trope of Anime Hair
, this hairstyle resembles the hood scoops on a muscle car and also looks a bit like cat ears, allowing for the visual appeal of the Cat Girl
in series that are too "realistic" to actually feature such a supernatural creature. Seems to be more common among females, though male examples are plentiful as well.
Seems to be especially prevalent in Visual Novels
- Kyou and Ryou Fujibayashi of CLANNAD both have these quite prominently. Kotomi Ichinose has a less impressive set.
- Continuing with the Key Visual Arts theme, Kanon has three such characters, Kaori Misaka and Nayuki and Akiko Minase.
- To Heart 2's Tamaki Suoh has these.
- Utawarerumono is absolutely bursting with these. Benawi, Dori, Gura, Hakuoro, Tusukuru, and Utoriy.
- Da Capo II has Yume and Otome Asakura.
- Oddly enough, this is a primarily male feature in Tokyo Mew Mew, with both Ryou and Keiichiro sporting this hairstyle.
- Arcueid Brunestud has a rather impressive pair of intakes. Ciel has a much smaller pair.
- Fate/stay night has three prominent examples in Kirei Kotomine, Rider, and Assassin. Rin Tohsaka and Caster also have small intakes.
- Omamori Himaris Token Mini-Moe, Shizuku, has this hairstyle in its most magnificent form. Kuesu has the lesser form.
- Obligatory Haruhi Suzumiya example: Ryoko Asakura has a pair of intakes.
- Sakura of Card Captor Sakura and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle also sports this hairstyle.
- Another Sakura with intakes is Sakura Haruno.
- Itachi and Sasuke also have them. So does Kurenai.
- The titular character of Karin has such large intakes that they make up more than half of her total hair, a rarity.
- Ai Yori Aoshi's Chizuru Aizawa has the classic style.
- Disgaea: Hour of Darkness has Captain Gordon's assistant Jennifer.
- Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch: Seira.
- Excel♥Saga's Il Palazzo has a pair.
- Rangiku Matsumoto has this hairstyle.