Needs a Better Name
Do We Have This One?
is about to be stabbed in the back by The Big Bad
The Well-Intentioned Extremist
and Poisonous Friend
is getting ready the Kick the Dog
, and do what he has to do
to Save The World
The Psycho Ex-Girlfriend
is about to club her her rival in the Kneecap
for getting in the way of her romance with the Unlucky Everydude
Now is the time for a Diving Save
, knocking the target out of the way of the attack, and quite likely taking the hit themselves
, and die in the process
... except of the knee cap one. Then they'll just be limping for the rest of their lives.
Only, sometimes tackling the person your trying to save is not the best option......so take the other guy down instead.
This trope is for when one character prevents an enemy, or even a friend from doing something they disagree with by tackling them to the ground. There may also be some wrestling to keep them down afterwords. It can also apply when said tackler stops the Tackled from attacking someone who would kill them (or badly hurt them) if they got too close, which causes it to overlap with Diving Save
at times. Said diver may also lapse into Bullet Time
. Bonus Points
if they do a Big "NO!"
at the same time, leading to a drawn out, low key "Noooooooooooooo!"
of Diving Save
Anime and Manga
- In One Piece's Sabaody Archipelago arc, Zoro seems annoyed at the World Noble he passed by (Saint Charloss), as the guy is wantonly shooting someone and asked the poor guy's fiance to be his (among many other things). Then Zoro moves in to attack him, only to be tackled by Jewelry Bonney who also fakes his injury with red paint. After going away from the place, she explains to Zoro that attacking a World Noble is a bad idea - if they're hurt by someone, even a Marine Admiral can be summoned to neutralize the threat.
- Old school Super Robot throwback Shinkon Gattai Godannar!! has the most unique example in a Humongous Mecha on Humongous Mecha version. When Ex girlfriend Mira Ackerman tries to Mercykill The Hero Goh Sarutobi when his infection by the Insania Virus finally takes full control, she is stopped by Current Girlfriend Anna Aoi. Since Anna and Mira's robots happen to be Fembots as well, it's essentially one female robot draped atop another, just like this.◊ HUZZAH!!!
- Bleach. Yourichi does this to Soi Fon, during the Soul Society arc, to prevent her from killing Kiyone; which leads to a Designated Girl Fight.
- At the climax of The Castle of Cagliostro, Clarisse pulls an epic one, complete with a Big "NO!", by diving from atop the clocktower and taking Cagliostro with her to prevent him from killing Lupin. The count manages to save himself, however, and gives her the boot in retaliation, which sends her plummeting toward the lake. This spurs Lupin to leap from the tower in order to save her.
- Elfen Lied
- The heroine has just murdered her friends' family in a fit of jealousy. Naturally, she threatens to go and kill the other one he likes. He then tackles her and shouts, er screams at her, "NOO! STOP IT!"
- Seconds before, when Lucy tries to use her vectors on the boy, his sister pushes him out of the way and tells her brother to run. Brave girl.
- The Thing. A Thing assimilates Bennings and escapes out into the open. As MacReady, Windows and Fuchs pursue it, it falls on its knees. Windows approaches it and Fuchs tackles him to the ground, saying "Keep away from it!" Watch it here.
- Making Money mentions Moist of all people doing this to prevent an employee from burning an entire sheet of misprinted stamps.
- Parodied in How I Met Your Mother, when Barney somehow convinces himself that Wendy the waitress is trying to kill him and his friends, and does this to stop Marshall eating a hamburger she served him.
- In a humorous background scene in the episode "Him" of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Spike tackles a spell-influenced, bazooka-toting Buffy to stop her from shooting an oblivious Pricipal Wood through the window of his office.