The Teapot Pose YKTTW Discussion
|The Teapot Pose|
One of the recurring Stock Poses for feminine and effeminate charactersTropeworthy? Better Name Motion To Discard Description Needs Help
The character stands jauntily with one arm perched on their hip, and the other raised and bent, looking much like, well, a sassy teapot◊; the raised arm vaguely resembles the pouring spout of a teapot while the lowered arm resembles its handle. Curving or bending the hips and legs is optional. This pose is a "limp-wristed", sexier, version of Akimbo. It's related to Talk to the Hand, Finger Wag, the infamous duckface, and quite often the default pose of, like, the Valley Girl as well as Camp Gay, Camp Straight, Sassy Black Woman, The Ojou, and other famous and self-important people. You'll catch at least one celebrity striking this pose, or slight deviations, on any boardwalk or runway. This pose is so common in fiction that it even appears with female superheroes or action heroines in exaggerated and out-of-place extremes, not unlike the Boobs-and-Butt Pose. When adding examples, it is encouraged that you link to pictures or videos demonstrating the pose. Within the limits of fair use, of course. Examples: Anime and Manga
- One of the very first images the public got of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt had Panty take this pose◊. It is currently the page image for the show.
- One of the Senshi from Sailor Moon finishes her Stock Footage Transformation Sequence with this pose◊.
- In Star Trek Online, characters set to the "Relaxed" stance will strike this pose on occasion, minus the upraised arm. For an example, second character from left in this image◊.
- In Niels, the new guy who was hired into Niels' crime syndicate has some very set mental representations on what a gay person should look and act like. He knows that Neils is bisexual; that is enough for him to classify him as "fag" and dress him up in his mind as a stripper, complete with pink, see-through, skimpy outfit, makeup, jewelry, and an extra-hammy, hip-thursting version of this pose. When he finds out that the guy who hired him, Neils' second-in-command, whom he thought was pretty cool, sleeps with Neils, his mental image of him instantly shifts into a variation of the same stereotype.
- The Brain does this involuntarily in the Animaniacs episode "Pavlov's Mice", due to Pavlov conditioning him to sing "I'm a little teapot" when he hears the sound of a bell.
- My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Rarity and Twilight take the pose◊ Rarity is an exuberant fashionista, so foppish poses are par of the course. It seems a bit stranger with Twilight Sparkle, until you remember that she has a tendency to take charge of situations, and that lecturing people (is what she does best).