A Cold Blooded Torturer
displays the tools of his trade, often laid out neatly on a table
to demonstrate the clinical approach he or she brings to their work
, and shown to the audience via a slow pan close-up.
Historically this is Truth in Television
, part of a three-step process
to encourage the prisoner to be more cooperative
. 'First degree' torture involved verbal threats of what you're going to do
, 'second degree' is showing the prisoner the instruments of torture, while 'third degree' is application.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Marcie the insane invisible girl whips a sheet off a tray of surgical instruments she intends to use to give Cordelia a Glasgow Grin.
- Tomorrow Never Dies. Elliot Carver shows his ancient chakra torture tools to Bond and Lin.
Elliot Carver: According to Eastern philosophy, the body has seven different chakra points. The Energy centers, like the heart, or genitals. The purpose of these implements is to probe those organs, inflicting the maximum amount of pain whilst keeping the victim alive for as long as possible.
- The Matrix. At the start of Morpheus' interrogation, we're given a brief pan across gleaming stainless steel surgical instruments and vials of drugs.
- Serves as a Chekhov's Gun in True Lies, specifically the Patterson trocar Arnie uses to kill the guard while using the torturer as a Human Shield.
- A Song of Ice and Fire. When Davos Seaworth is held in the Wolf's Den he's treated well, but the turnkey makes a point of showing him the Whore -- an iron rod that when heated is used scorching off the testicles, and Lady Lu -- a huge axe for cutting off the head and hands, hopefully in that order.