Light Feminine and Dark Feminine YKTTW Discussion
|Light Feminine and Dark Feminine|
Two (usually) female characters portray different aspects of femininity.
This is another character contrast trope. Unlike the Tomboy and Girly Girl trope, both female characters are decidedly feminine - but in different ways. Light Feminines (Sweet and Serene) are generally angelic, conservative, and feels love - which Dark Feminines (Sexy and Sassy) are generally devilish, liberal, and plays with desire. In short, Light Feminines exude the aspects of traditional femininity - while Dark Feminines are feminine in a much less innocent fashion. Either type can be the Girly Girl portrayed in the Tomboy and Girly Girl contrast. Related to Madonna–Whore Complex and The Three Faces of Eve (Child/Wife=Light; Seductress=Dark). In a Betty and Veronica love triangle, Betty is usually the Light Feminine - with Veronica being the Dark Feminine. Also, the Light Feminine is typically the Blue Oni - while the Dark Feminine is typically the Red Oni.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: Fluttershy (Light) is kind, caring, very much like a mother to the animals. Rarity (Dark) is vain and bratty, though not quite as much so as she seems.
- Non Sequitur: Kate is the Light Feminine, while Danae is the Dark Feminine.
- Overlord: The potential queens fall into this. In the second game, the first two mistresses fall into Tomboy and Girly Girl - but also serve as a collective "Light Feminine" to the third.
- Catherine: Catherine is the Dark Feminine, while Katherine is the Light Feminine.
- Adventure Time: Marceline is the Dark Feminine, while Bubblegum is the Light Feminine.
- Final Fantasy X: Lulu is the Dark Feminine, while Yuna is the Light Feminine.
- Glee: (Male example) Blaine Anderson (Light) and Kurt Hummel (Dark). Blaine is kind, nurturing, generous, and little oblivious, Kurt is prissy, bitchy, arrogant, entitled, self-absorbed.
- Gone with the Wind: Melanie is the Light Feminine, while Scarlett is the Dark Feminine.
- Dragon Age: Origins: Leliana is the Light Feminine, while Morrigan is the Dark Feminine.
- Sunrise: The Woman from The City is the Dark Feminine (hedonist, cheater), while The Wife is the Light Feminine (goodie goody all the way through).
- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes: Russell is the Dark Feminine, while Monroe is the Light Feminine.