Cephalothorax, a character's body is primarily an eyeball. Common variants include a character made of several smaller eyes around one giant center eye or a single eyeball above a wide mouth. A third common variation is a single disembodied eye with a pair of demonic wings. These creatures will generally move by simply floating in the air like a bubble if wingless. If they have limbs, they tend towards tentacles or wings rather than arms and legs. May attack using special eye-related attacks such as petrifying gaze or Eye Beams. The name comes from the latin: "Oculus" meaning eye and "Thorax" well, for the thorax. See also Faceless Eye.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Suezo from Monster Rancher is this.
- Medama-Oyaji from Ge Ge Ge No Kitaro
- One of Demon Detective Neuro's 777 Tools of Hell is Evil Friday, a swarm of little eyeballs with legs that he can see through. While most commonly used for research, reconnaissance, and tracking, they're shown to have lives and personalities of their own, and one memorable aside shows that they enjoy participating in racing. Why Evil Friday? Who knows?
- Doctor Strange's enemy Shuma-Gorath.
- Big Trouble In Little China had a Beholder-like monster.
- In the film version of The Lord Of The Rings, Sauron is depicted as a literal flaming eye. In the books, the term "The Eye of Sauron" is not meant literally, but rather as a symbol of Sauron's vigilance, evil and influence; which several characters describe or perceive as being like a great Wreathed In Flames.
- The aliens in It Came From Outer Space.
- One of the monsters in Voyage Into Space was a giant floating eyeball.
- Early Mighty Morphin Power Rangers monster Eye Guy is built entirely out of eyeballs. His "Core" form is a single Eyeball floating in the air, making him this.
- The Atraxi in Doctor Who "The Eleventh Hour" is nothing except a giant eye. Check it out.
- The Beholders of Dungeons And Dragons are the Trope Codifier for this type of monster in fantasy settings.
- The Eye of the Deep: An underwater Beholder-like creature with a large central eye that sends out a blinding flash of light that dazzles and stuns its victims.
- Floating Eye: A fish with a single large eye that hypnotizes its target.
- Eyewing: A creature of the Abyss with bat wings and an 8 foot long rat's tail. Has a 4 foot wide eye that weeps an acidic, poisonous blue liquid. The liquid forms into a 1 foot diameter sphere when the Eyewing drops it on its target below.
- Magic The Gathering has the Evil Eye of Urborg. The Evil Eye of Orms-by-Gore appears to be related, but the artwork is zoomed in too closely to see its full body.
- The Floating Eyes of Net Hack that stuns you for a long time if you strike it.
- One of the monsters in Conan: Hall of Volta was a large floating eyeball. You can see them here.
- The 'Eyeball' costume in the Costume Quest DLC 'Grubbins On Ice'.
- The Wise One in Golden Sun.
- Mr I from Super Mario 64 is just an eyeball.
- The Ahriman in Final Fantasy games.
- The Pain elementals and Cacodemons from Doom.
- Everquest 1 and 2 and has the 'Evil Eyes'.
- Shin Megami Tensei has several, like Ichimokuren.
- A betentacled floating eyeball early boss in Raidou Kuzunoha Vs The Soulless Army.
- Ameno-Sagiri, a giant laser eyeball boss from Persona 4.
- The Feyesh in Super Smash Brothers Brawl, an eyeball fish with tentacles. Yuck.
- Stalkers in Runescape
- A Link To The Past: the Dark World's Goddamned Bats are eyeballs with bat wings.
- In The Venture Bros Doctor Venture builds a robot composed of giant eye on spider legs. It is later used as a new body for H.E.L.P.eR.
- Dr. Zin's Robot Spy from Jonny Quest is of the same design, and the inspiration for the aforementioned giant eye.
- Jonny Quest: The title creature in "The Invisible Monster".
- ReBoot features this as a sprite in one of the games. A single eyeball that uses it's nerves and veins as limbs, like an octopus.
- From Monsters Inc, Mike, who is mostly a giant eyeball, with a small mouth and spindly arms and legs.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable