Basically using a ponytail to set off girls who are Tomboys, or who are at least don't act in a "proper" girlish manner. This is Truth in Television for many tomboys in Real Life, due to being an easy to do style that gets your hair out of the way. In fiction, odds are that if a girl is wearing a ponytail, she's not going to act demure or feminine, at least not all the time. Bonus points if she wears overalls. Now not all tomboys wear ponytails, nor do "girly" girls never wear ponytails. In fact, lots of tomboys keep their hair down and in their face without bothering with it. Some dislike ponytail holders, which they might also call 'hair pretties.' So there isn't much point in listing aversions to this. Compare Girlish Pigtails. Contrast Princess Curls.
- Makoto, aka Sailor Jupiter, of Sailor Moon.
- Belle of Beauty and the Beast, who is not like other women in her town.
- Now the three blond girls in town also have ponytails, but their hair is far more "elegant" and immaculate than Belle's typical style (who isn't afraid to have a a few hairs hanging loose).
- Laney of She's All That, to show how she's too weird to be pretty.
- Which got mercilessly mocked in Not Another Teen Movie.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.