Hippos (or, by their full name, Hippopotamuses, which is Greek for horse of the river
) are usually considered as heavy, lazy, dim-witted, yet charming creatures, while in Real Life
, they are actually very dangerous. Many people think that when hippos open their mouths really wide, they're yawning, when they're actually showing off their fangs to warn off other animals. They kill more people in Africa than crocodiles
In fiction, however, they are hardly ever depicted as dangerous. They are usually Ugly Cute Gentle Giants
, who may be Big Eaters
and/or Fat Idiots
. And since they are very graceful underwater, they are often portrayed as Fat Girl
or Big Beautiful Woman
, making them almost Always Female
Fictional hippos can also be Big Fun
Film - Animated
Film - Live-Action
- Congo is one of the rare examples where hippos are portrayed as dangerous, attacking the protagonists on the river.
- Hilda Hippo from Richard Scarry's Busy World is a typical Fat Girl.
- In the Discworld, hippos are the heraldic animal representing Ankh-Morpork. (Big, slow, ungainly, generate a lot of shit, and wallow in filthy water). The city keeps two elderly arthritic hippos, and mythology says disaster will befall if they die or leave. Roderick and Keith are said to have an amicable arrangement of their own. Hippos appear in heraldic art - the Brass Bridge is lined with carved wooden hippos - they appear on the city's coat of arms, and now feature on currency notes and stamps.
- The title character of the classic children's book Veronica is a hippo who longs to be both conspicuous and famous, so she travels to the city where her wish comes true.
- In Nu, Pogodi!, the hippo is a Gentle Giant recurring extra. Though he often causes the wolf pain, it is usually through obliviousness (such as mistaking him for a member of his building crew and loading some bricks onto his back.)
- One episode of Kérem a következőt! revolves around a Big Eater hippo.
Religion And Mythology
- Hungry Hungry Hippos
- Hannah Hippopotamus from the Fabuland toyline from LEGO is a female hippo.
- Hippopotas of Pokémon fits the bill, but its evolution, Hippowdon, does not.
- The title character of Hanna-Barbera's The Peter Potamus Show is a hippo who travels around the world in a hot air balloon with his monkey sidekick, So-So.
- The Hip Hippos from Animaniacs are a hippo couple who like to enjoy the finer things in life.
- When The Simpsons go to Africa they're attacked by a hippo. Homer says that hippos are afraid of water so they get into a convinent canoe. Lisa points out that hippos are actually very good with water (they're "river horses"); but then the hippo they're running from turns out to be afraid of water after all.
Needs More Examples
, Needs a Better Description