Are you a Hero on a quest? Have you been tramping through the wilderness fighting off Mooks and monsters? Are you running out of supplies? Is the confrontation with the Big Bad approaching, causing you to wonder if can possibly complete you quest and/or survive? We have everything you need here at our Rest And Resupply Stop. Services provided include:
- Safety - (at least temporarily) from the Big Bad, his mooks and other dangers, to allow you time to rest and plan your next step.
- Sleep - guaranteed to last the full night, including protection from any pesky prophetic dreams.
- Supplies - if you are not fortunate enough to have Infinite Supplies, you can gather more to replace those you used or had to abandon; including specialty items that may be needed later on.
- Healing - for any new wounds received, or old ones playing up. Depending on the type of wounds, may only be enough to get you to the final confrontation (not guaranteed to last the fight).
- Information - our library specialises in ancient and esoteric texts relating to the Big Bad, McGuffin and other such useful topics. We can also provide mostly accurate and up-to-date information on current affairs for those who have been out of contact.
- Directions - either verbal, maps or the services of a guide; for the next stage of your journey.
- Motivation – even Determinators can get disheartened. Here in the peace, comfort and (optional) beauty of our Rest And Resupply Stop you can remind yourself what you are fighting for and renew your Heroic Resolve.
- In the Anime Deltora Quest we get Tom's Shop. Said shop includes supplies and the directions needed, but that the heroes cannot follow.
- In the Anime Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid we have the little gem when it was the similar prostitute that looks a lot like Chidori.
- In the manga version (specifically on Sigma) we have a moment after Chidori is taken by Leonard Testarossa. After the kidnapping which includes bombs and pretty much a good deal of a good fight Sousuke is bound to find a few of these. The Determinator part actually delivers the best gem of that arc.
- The Lord of the Rings
- The Hobbit. Both Rivendell and Beorn's home provide shelter and support to the weary travelers on their long trek to the Lonely Mountain.
- The Fellowship of the Ring. Frodo and his party find refuge at Tom Bombadil's house and Rivendell, and the Fellowship benefits greatly from their stay in Lothlorien.
- The Two Towers. Faramir's hideout in Ithilien, where Frodo and Sam find food and rest during their journey to Mordor. Faramir grants Frodo (and anyone under his protection) the right to go anywhere in Gondor for A Year and a Day, and gives Frodo and Sam walking staffs with the (magical?) virtue of finding and returning.
- In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe the beavers and their lodge acts as a rather short-term version, and demonstrates the dangers of offering these services.
- The trio use Bill and Fleur’s cottage in this way during Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- Stephan Donaldson’s Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (all three trilogies) has Andelain. While not a human (or other race’s) settlement like most examples, it still provides the peace, protection and motivation.
- Pretty much each of the Deltora Quest 1 books has its own RARS:
- The Lake of Tears has Raladin for both before and after the confrontation.
- City of the Rats has Tom's shop; particularly high on the resupply factor...
- In The Shifting Sands you could say that the Games Inn in could count, although they almost paid a price rather higher than expected.
- Dread Mountain, their time with the Kin and the Dreaming Spring.
- The Maze of the Beast has the Resistance stronghold, although their reception is decidedly cool.
- Valley of the Lost, their brief visit to Tora magically relieves them of their stress and worries while they are there.
- Return to Del, Withick Mire where they make their final plans and Barda heals from being poisoned.
- Doctor Who: The TARDIS functions as a mobile Rest and Resupply Stop despite being the iconic ship of the series. Functioning as a place where the Doctor and the companions find most of the items in the list; including supplies to chase the monster of the week such as in Vincent and the Doctor.
- In an early episode of Star Trek: Enterprise the Enterprise crew come across one of these out in the middle of space. They pull in and get refitted, only finding out later that the station runs on the remains of other ships.
- "Encounter at Farpoint," the first episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Farpoint One wants to get certified by the Federation to be an official wayside stop and the Enterprise is sent to check them out.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is set at one of these.
- There are several such places in Final Fantasy X. First, there is Rin's Travel Agency, which has several locations across Spira. Normal towns has also served as such for the protagonists.
- Breath of Fire 2: Providing Sleep, Healing and a Save Point in the middle of a Crossroad between a Witch Tower, a Restaurant where they will cook the weak, a town where you can't save and the river route to a Cake sale.
- Breath of Fire 3: Takes it further by making the player bring it over for almost everything but Supplies. Given that the characters discuss the events you can remember where you left your game all that time ago, but not your fairy village (which the player can make it a supply point and a place for buying some top tier weapons), and recall which town or dungeon you needed to go.
- Poke Marts and Pokemon Centers act as a cross between this and Healing Checkpoint in Pokémon games.
- The ports in the Uncharted Waters series are subdivided into full-scale ports with all manners of shops and institutions, and these--tiny settlements, usually far from the main civilization centers, whose only function is to give your fleet a chance to weather a storm, stock up on food and water, and repair your ships if necessary.
- Dragon Quest VI has the Service Call ability, which summons a random merchant/inn/priest while on the field.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable