Needs a Better Title
As opposed to characters with extremely curly hair
a character, most often female, who has long, wavy hair will often be gentle, soft-spoken and nurturing. The waves bring to mind water, which is associated with emotions, serenity, healing and even birth, and characters with this hair style will embody this. They may also be seen as especially lady-like
and praised by other characters for their beauty or kindness.
Alternatively Wavy Hair is associated with Mother Nature
. The gently curling waves represents a hint of wildness
. Consequently, the creative and authoritative aspects of Mother Nature
means that even characters who don't fit the nurturing aspects of the trope, may be associated with royalty. Godesses, Queens, Princesses
and mother-figures especially tend to have this type of hair.
And While this trope mostly applies to females, as males are not likely to have particularly long wavy hair, often times males that do will be seen as royalty or particularly feminine.
Yeah, it might seem like a lot of symbolism just for hair, but really, think about all the characters you've seen with this style of hair. Go on, we'll wait.
Compare Princess Curls
and Long Hair Is Feminine
, Contrast Quirky Curls
Anime & Manga
- Sailor Neptune/ Michiru / Michelle from Sailor Moon, who is gentle and lady-like and has ocean powers. Also the various villains who identify themselves as royalty such as Queen Beryl and Queen Nehelenia.
- Princess Millerna Sarah Aston from Vision of Escaflowne, she is a princess and a healer and particularly lady-like and kind.
- Granmamare, Ponyo's mother and some kind of sea-goddess
- In Code Geass, Rebellious Princess Euphemia is kind and caring, not even discriminating against Japanese.
- In "Detective Conan" the protagonist, Mouri Ran, has long brown hair and treats everyone fairly.
- Princess Celestia from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, who is Twilight Sparkle's mother-figure and is infinitely kind and loved by all her people.
- My Little Pony's Princess Wosshername has an immenesly long and flowing mane and tail. Like, it floats in the air and everything.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: When Katara lets her hair down, it is long and wavy. Not only is she the Team Mom, The Chick, and The Medic, she's also a Water-bender. She inherited the hair from her mother, who's most distinguishing characteristic was sacrificing her life for that of her daughter.
- True Blood's Maryann is a Maenad associated with Earth and nature. And while she's actually a completely evil bitch, she at first pulls off a facade of being extremely kind and motherly.
- In The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, there is Queen Rutela, whose main role in the plot is her relationship to her son, prince Ralis. Both are Zoras, a race of Fish People without hair, but her head-fins manage to resemble wavy blonde hair. No other Zoras have been seen with this feature.