License-Added Game YKTTW Discussion
A new installment of a video game franchise features an additional licenseAlready have?
(Formerly Licensed Rerelease)
Looking for hats
Indexes: Media Adaptation Tropes, Video Game Genres
A subtrope of Licensed Game in which the license is added to a new version of an existing video game franchise, either a Sequel or an Updated Re-release. The title of the game generally includes the names of both franchises in order to grab the attention of both fanbases. In addition to updating the graphics, setting, and story to accommodate the new license, the game developers usually create brand new levels and an extra gameplay mechanic or two to entice players into picking up this one too. This trope differs from Dolled-Up Installment where the new license completely supplants the work's original context. That trope also covers situations in which localizing a game for another region includes adding, removing, or replacing licenses. To make an analogy with licensed board games: The Board Game is to Themed Stock Board Game as Licensed Game is to License-Added Game. When both franchises have an established cast, the result may include a Crossover. A Massive Multiplayer Crossover is similar in combining two or more franchises, though typically marketed as an original concept instead of belonging to one of the represented series.
- All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. is essentially an officially-licensed hack of Super Mario Bros, based on a Japanese radio program and published by Fuji Television.
- Angry Birds has done this three times so far:
- Angry Birds Rio is a Crossover with the CGI film Rio in which the protagonists of both works team up to escape Rio de Janeiro.
- Angry Birds Star Wars plays the angle of Universal-Adaptor Cast as Star Wars roles, featuring the birds as the Rebels and the pigs as the Empire.
- Angry Birds Transformers has the birds and the pigs don Transforming Mecha from the Transformers franchise (the birds are the Autobirds and the pigs are the Deceptihogs) and for a first in the series has the birds actually walk from point A to point B destroying the pigs on the screen. "Leave the slingshot at home - this time you got REAL firepower!"
- Dance Dance Revolution includes a few tie-in titles with Disney characters, shows, and songs:
- Also on the subject of DDR is Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix, a 2005 GameCube title featuring both classic Super Mario Bros. tunes and classical melodies, combined with Mario characters and environments.
- Hanagumi Taisen Columns is a Columns game featuring characters from Sakura Wars.
- Haro no Puyo Puyo features characters from Mobile Suit Gundam.
- LEGO City Undercover is an inversion, copying the mechanics and style of the LEGO Adaptation Games minus the "adaptation" of a non-LEGO franchise.
- Magical Tetris Challenge is Tetris with Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Pete.
- Chunsoft's Mystery Dungeon series of Roguelikes has subseries featuring characters from Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Pokémon, as well as one-off releases based on Gundam, TwinBee and The Tower of Druaga. Oh, and one subseries of entirely original characters: Shiren the Wanderer.
- Rock Band did this a couple of times with band-centric releases:
- The Beatles: Rock Band
- Green Day: Rock Band
- Lego Rock Band (also a LEGO Adaptation Game)
- Konami did this many times over with Taisen Puzzle-dama, using characters from pop'n music, Tokimeki Memorial, TwinBee, Chibi Maruko-chan and Tsuyoshi Shikkari Shinasai.
- Temple Run: Brave is a rerelease of Temple Run to promote the Disney film Brave, going from tropical jungles to foggy forests and adding archery targets for bonus point opportunities.
- Tingle's Balloon Fight is the current page image for Dolled-Up Installment, designed as a parody of that trope, but the actual execution falls under here: the original Balloon Fight pedigree shows clearly alongside the added themes from The Legend of Zelda.
- An example of a license being added after the game was released: Crazy Taxi: City Rush includes the legendary Hot Rod Bone Shaker from Hot Wheels and by collecting Hot Wheels symbols gives extra dollars, diamonds and customizations.