- "It doesn't matter how much training you have, a broken rib is a broke rib."
Michael Westen- Burn Notice
- This is one of the biggest appeals of all Jackie Chan movies, he isn't a completely unstoppable force of nature but he takes a lot of punishment and deals it right back. In First Strike he spent an entire action sequence in the snow wearing regular clothes with a thin t-shirt. When a MIB agent saw him shivering he asked him if he was cold, Jackie lifted his shirt to show he had nothing else underneath and said "What do you think?"
- Indiana Jones: Particularly the scene on the boat where he tenderly nurses all his injuries. Also his general reaction to snakes is a reminder that he has his own issues, which only makes his entry into the tomb filled with snakes more heroic. And from the beginning they chose his wardrobe to be extremely well worn, they manually "aged" the leather jacket with steel wool.
- Die Hard: Most films have a moment with John McClane bloodied and beaten up, but he just will not go down. The scene in the first film where he picks broken glass out of his bare feet is particularly notable.
- Right in the first episode of Burn Notice Michael is given a beating by a group of thugs, and only barely escaping the country alive. In a moment with the kid of a client who was frequently beaten up at school, Michael showed him his still bruised ribs and explained that "I have four black belts and they still kicked my ass." and then he proceeded to train the kid how to better defend himself.
- It was joked about on the set of The Lord of the Rings that Aragorn would progressively look more ratty and beaten-up over the course of the movies and Legolas, being an elf, would never have so much as a hair out of place or a hole in his wardrobe.
- This is largely the selling point of the next Tomb Raider game, where Lara is constantly dirty and will get hurt from time to time.
- Toy companies even get into the mood, often releasing "Battle Damaged" version of their products. Transformers and Gundam in particular. Some hobbyists even enjoy rigging up the pristine product themselves to be battle damaged.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable