Academic Athlete YKTTW Discussion
Character who excells at both academics and athletics
Yes, usually jocks are just dumb. But this jock is different. This jock just made the Dean's list and has to choose between an academic scholarship to a prestigious Ivy League School, or the football scholarship in the Pac10. In other words it's what you get when you combined a well toned mind with well toned muscles. Possibly as a form of Positive Discrimination, girls are more likely to get this treatment then guys, even though the sports being played are traditional male sports. If there's a contrast between two girls this one will be firmly the Tomboy in Tomboy and Girly Girl because of how independent she is. Sensitive Guy and Manly Man on the other hand are less likely to use this as the sensitive guy is more likely to be academic and the manly man is more likely to be athletic. They don't have a Dumb Muscle look to them, neither a smart one but sporty look, somewhere between casual and tough. Can overlap with Renaissance Man if the Academic Athlete has more than just the two skills, especially if he has artistic ones. Compare Genius Bruiser, Badass Bookworm, Adventurer Archaeologist, and the duo of Brains and Brawn.
Anime and Manga
- Azumanga Daioh's Koyomi Mizuhara is an honors student, second only to Chiyo academically. She's also an outstanding athlete and usually does well during their school's annual sports fest.
- However, Sakaki is the best athlete at the school, and also excels in her studies. She has the next highest test scores after Chiyo and Yomi.
- In Kare Kano Miyazawa and Arima are always near the top of the school's exam rankings, and Arima wins nationally at kendo. For Miyazawa, only other characters praise her sports ability, though.
- Jess of Bridge to Terabithia thinks highly of Leslie Burke because she beat all the fifth grade boys in their race and she can impress teachers with her imaginative essays and ability to appear focused in class.
- The Dear America book With The Might of Angels has Dawnie who has the highest grades in the elementary division of her school but more than anything she wants to be part of the All-American Girls Baseball League.
- Kristin Amanda “Kristy” Thomas from The Babysitters Club has the management skills to create the club and be it's president. Her sport is softball and she even starts a kids' team.
- Basketball star Mary Camden from 7th Heaven will occasionally tutor other characters.
- Samantha “Sam” Kepler from Wishbone participates in every sport her male friends do and is picked for her class team captain spelling bee because she's always reading.
- Laura Ingalls Wilder from LittleHouseOnThePrairie will get dirty and play baseball as a child but at sixteen she becomes more elegant and gets her first teaching job.
- Jane Vaughan of Degrassi is a skilled football player and the Valedictorian of her class. Her plan is to become a lawyer.
- New York 1, a major cable news channel in The Big Apple offers a "Scholar Athlete of the Month Award" to one high-achieving high school student, in a praise-heavy featurette.
- Truth in Television for how some well-educated American athletes appear to Europeans where sports is not typically tied to academics but often involves dropping out of school early to pursue one's sports career full-time.