DAN 004 wuz ere takin over ur druft
When a property leaves room for continued adventures or ends on an outright Sequel Hook
, but is continued in a different medium.
This is most likely due to the original property not doing well financially, but has enough interest to merit continuation in a cheaper medium. Alternatively, they were Screwed by the Network
of the original medium and they have to continue it in another. In case of movie continuation from other media, it may also mark a special part of the whole story.
See also The Resolution Will Not Be Televised
and its inverse Recycled: The Series
. Related to Expanded Universe
when the other media-sequels are treated as a lesser canon. Compare Anime First
and Comic Book Adaptation
, as well as Continuation
, Fan Sequel
and Next Gen Fic
for Fan Fic
Note that cases of prequels and interquels also count here; the point is, the works are all part of the same timeline.
Examples by the original medium
Anime and Manga
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid is the manga continuation (the 4th season to be specific) of the anime Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS.
- Even though the Dot Hack franchise started with .hack//SIGN, the entire storyline is told between numerous mediums. Chronologically, the story goes from novels (.hack//AI Buster), to anime (.hack//SIGN), to video games (.hack//Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, and Quarantine), to anime that takes place during the games (.hack//Liminality), to novels (.hack//ZERO), to manga (.hack//Legend of the Twilight), to anime (.hack//Roots) that serves as both the prequel and epilogue to the corresponding video games (Dot Hack GU), that features a novel (.hack//CELL) as a side story between the two, to manga (.hack//LINK), to anime (.hack//Quantum).
- This isn't even counting non-canon retellings such as the .hack//XXXX and .hack//GU manga. Yeah.. Its that kind of series. There are more games in the works too.
- The Sky Crawlers had a prequel in the form of a video game called The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces.
- Naruto ended its run after 700 chapters. In addition to the Spin-Offspring, there's a movie taking place during the Time Skip before the Distant Finale, which wraps up the Romance Arc between Naruto and Hinata Hyuga.
- The Next Generation -Patlabor- is the live-action sequel to the original Patlabor OVA continuity, and is set 15 years after its conclusion. Which also makes it the Distant Finale, as most of the original cast have retired from the SVU by then.
- The classic animated film Blood The Last Vampire got manga sequel, and said manga sequel got a video game sequel.
- Men In Black: Retribution, the comic sequel to the Men In Black film.
- The Countdown to Darkness prequel comic for Star Trek Into Darkness.
- Star Wars franchise:
- From the movie Pitch Black, we have:
- 2001: A Space Odyssey had a Marvel Comics adaptation followed by a continuation.
- TRON 2.0, a PS2 game sequel to TRON, which fell into Canon Discontinuity after TRON: Legacy was announced.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogie's Revenge, a PS2 sequel to The Nightmare Before Christmas.
- Return To Labyrinth, an "Amerimanga" sequel to Labyrinth. Archaia Comics also printed a prequel comic about the origins of the Goblin King Jareth. Both are officially licensed.
- Ghostbusters: The Video Game is basically the third Ghostbusters movie, while the IDW comic continues the story from where the video game left off.
- Pacific Rim has the prequel "Tales from Year Zero", and it's supposed to be getting a comic book series and an animated series.
- All the expansions of The Matrix the video games, comics, The Animatrix were intended by the creators to be canon to the films. This includes the The Matrix Online, which picks up where the movie trilogy left off.
- The Back to the Future trilogy got follow-ups in Back to the Future: The Animated Series and a set of video games.
- John Carpenter's movie The Thing (1982) was followed by a videogame sequel 20 years later named simply The Thing, in which a rescue team investigates what happened at outpost #31 and encounters a Thing plague.
- The animated film Starship Troopers: Invasion is a Broad Strokes sequel to the live-action movies that incorporates a fair bit from the novel and the animated series as well.
- Super Mario Bros. notoriously ended in a sequel hook, but no sequel came after the film went on to be a critical and financial failure. The sequel eventually came in the form of a webcomic.
- SM Stirling's T2 trilogy of novels continues the story of Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Before Terminator 3 or the TV series).
- Final Fantasy VII recieved a direct sequel in the form of an animated film, Advent Children, not to mention the various sequels and prequels,one of which was an anime short titled Before Crisis.
- Crysis 2 is the sequel but set at a altogether different time and place with a (mostly) new cast of characters. The events of Crysis and Crysis: Warhead were continued in a six issue comic book series endorsed by EA and published by IDW intending to fill the gap.