A Sister trope of Battle in the Rain
, Two opponents, either individuals or armies, face off against each other, ready to throw down at a moment's notice, with clouds lowering overhead. Just as the fight is about to start, it begins to snow on the combatants. Interestingly, the snow never seems to inhibit anyone in the battle
In Real Life, fights in the snow rarely happen. On the one hand, it reduces visibility and makes for a better defensive fight. Along with that, the ground generally gets iced over, making it harder for mechanized units and sometimes infantry to move. But however snow doesn't affect projectiles much at all except for low visibility.
A subtrope of Empathic Environment
and Snow Means Death
. More often than not combined with Dramatic Wind
and rarely Dramatic Thunder
. Often, obviously, foreshadowed by A Storm Is Coming
. Characters often Dies Wide Open
, so the snow can fall on top of them and confirm He'sDead,Jim. (Though, this is more common in animation, because trying it in live-action would become Narm rather quickly due to the "dead" characters reflexively closing their eyes.)
Anime & Manga
- Anime/Bakugan: In a New Vestroia episode, they reappear back to Earth (snowy Russia to be exact) and Lync challenges Barron to a battle.
- Sword of the Stranger has the final Sword Fight take place in the snow.
- In Fullmetal Alchemist, when Ed fights Bucaneer in the snow while traveling north.
- The Battle of Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back takes place on the glaciers of an ice planet.
- The classic Russian film Alexander Nevsky features a climactic battle on a frozen lake. It was based on a real life battle too.
- The final fight in House of Flying Daggers (although this was apparently due to an unseasonal snowstorm while filming).
- In Film/Inception, the third layer of the dream was set in a snow-locked mountain stronghold, with the team taking the role of an infiltration unit and the dream projections being ski patrol combat units.
- The Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 2. In the climax Bella, Edward and their friends battle the Volturi on a large snow covered field.
- Film/X-Men has the first fight between Cyclops and Storm against Sabertooth in Canada, and it's snowing.
- The somewhat magic battle between Gandalf and Saruman on the Pass of Charadras in Film/ The Fellowhip Of The Ring could be considered this in the Lord of the Rings.
- The original Red Dawn has some guerrilla battle scenes in the snow.
- Of Course who could forget the big battle in Film/Mulan.
- The Ciaphas Cain novel Caves Of Ice has Cain's regiment, the 597th Valhallan, deployed to protect an Imperial promethium refinery from Orks on an ice planet. The Valhallans are right at home, having grown up on a similar world.
- Xenoblade has the Valaak Mountains where it is almost always snowing, and yes there is a big battle that happens there, against Metal Face it alsp involves The Reveal the Metal Face is actually Mumkhar!
- The first expansion pack to Dawn of War isn't called Winter Assault for nothing: the entire single-player campaign takes place on an ice world.
- Anime/Pokemon, pretty much happens whenever you use the move Hail. And just like Kyogre there are Pokemon that cannot help but summon a hailstorm and of course there are routes that are almost always snowing.
- Avatar The Last Airbender has the arc in the Northern Water Tribe (this being the North Pole there is snow everywhere) so there are many battles in the snow.
- Pretty much the entire Winter War between the USSR and Finland.