A character has something driven into the palm of their hand and right out the other side. Usually a knife, but may be a bullet.
This may be done for several reasons:
- To make us empathise with their pain, while injuring them in a way that allows them to carry on operating mostly unhindered.
- To demonstrate their badassedness when they simply withdraw the object and carry on
- To demonstrate their extreme badassedness when it was then that drove the object into their own palm in the first place.
- To imply some parallel with some guy who once suffered similar wounds.
- Constable Angel in Hot Fuzz is stabbed in the palm by Santa Claus.
- Eric Draven in The Crow first demonstrates his regenerating powers by getting shot through the middle of the palm of his hand.
- Roy Batty in Blade Runner keeps himself alive for a few crucial moments longer by driving a nail into his own palm.
- Er... Jesus.