Created By: dsneybuf on January 13, 2014
Do We Have This One? An ordinary person has an encounter with a strange creature, or maybe someone with special powers. The ordinary person allows this uncommon being to live with him/her and his/her family. Together, they experience several exciting escapades, which result in an Odd Friendship. The otherworldly being, in turn, learns more about humanity. If the ordinary person and the special houseguest have opposite genders, they might even engage in a Fantastic Romance. Trope Namer is the Platypus Comix article "The Platypus Comix Almanac of Special Houseguests".
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Ah! My Goddess has a goddess, Belldandy, live with an ordinary college student, Keiichi.
- Stitch of Lilo & Stitch becomes the alien pet of a little Hawaiian girl, Lilo.
- The titular alien of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial becomes friends with Elliot.
- Uncle Martin from My Favorite Martian is an alien who forms an Odd Friendship with Tim O'Hara.
- Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie serves Major Tony Nelson as his Genie in a Bottle, eventually becoming his wife.
- The title character of ALF is an Alien Life Form who crash-lands in Los Angeles and gets taken in by the Tanner family.
- Mork and Mindy stars an alien, Mork from Ork, who finds a home on Earth with Mindy.
- Free Spirit stars a Cute Witch, Winnie Goodwin, who becomes a live-in Magical Nanny and housekeeper for the mortal Harper family.
- The Littles stars some mouse-sized people who become friends with the normal-sized Henry Bigg.
- The animated Spin-Off of Punky Brewster gave Punky Brewster a "leprechaun gopher" named Gomer.
- Rubik, the Amazing Cube re-imagined Rubik's Cube as a magical creature befriended by the Rodriguez children.
- American Dad! has the alien Roger living with Stan's family.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.