This is a Sound FX
trope relating to any robot, cyborg or Mechanical Lifeform
that makes mechanical creaking sounds when they move around.
Anime and Manga
- Chachamaru in the Negima!!? second series had robotic noises added to accompany her movements.
- Star Wars is guilty of this, with most civilian droids making odd mneumonic whining sounds whenever they move and military droids that have an inexplicable clanking sound accompany their every step, even while walking on grass
- The Cybermen in Doctor Who. Lampshaded in one episode when they somehow manage to sneak up on the Doctor and he asks them if they've "got their legs on 'silent'".
- In Star Trek, we have Borg drones that make mechanical and electrical noise when moving, or assimilating.
- Most robotic constructs in World of Warcraft are rather clanky. Justified because most of them are hostile or potentially attackable NP Cs, and all NP Cs have a combat noise. Robots are just noisier than most.
- I'm pretty sure there are creaking/squeaking robot enemies in the video games Banjo-Kazooie and/or Banjo Tooie.
- That Most Wonderful Sound that Transformers make when they transform. You'd be killed for suggesting it be silent.
- Subverted in the Simpsons episode "Lisa's Wedding:" we Flash Forward to the far future (2010) and see what we think are a group of robots clanking by, but it's really just several college kids going to Wizard of Oz auditions in Tin Man costumes.