Some people want to live not at volcano's feet, but in a volcano. Active or extinct. A mountain with crater is a relatively defencible location, it looks impressive and Everything's Cooler With Lava. Usually Supervillain Lair, but not always. Naturally predisposed to become a Collapsing Lair. Most feature labyrintine cave complex, Lava Pits and use of free heat. Often done in a rather careless manner. May or may not be located on an island.
- Austin Powers -- Dr Evil's Island Base
- Disney version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea -- Captain Nemo's island
- Spy Kids 2 (Island Base)
- You Only Live Twice -- Blofeld
- Dragonriders of Pern has all "classic" Weyrs made this way, though not early or later ones.
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Dragonlance -- The biggest Minoi settlement around is Mount Nevermind. After a combination of one angry red dragon and smokepowder storage facility led to reactivation of the volcano and subsequent discovery of useable geothermal energy.
- Forgotten Realms -- Firenewts live in volcanic mountains. Because they need lava pit-grade heat.
- Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures -- Dr. Jyrras' Island Base
- Minions at Work as a comic about going-on in Supervillain Lairs featured volcanic lair of Doctor Coldblood time and again.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.