Longer Than Life Sentence
A criminal get sentenced to prison terms going beyond a normal life expectancy
- Lemongrab: "ONE MILLION YEEEAAARS!! DUNGEON!" *jail door slams*
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- All three protagonists of the cyberpunk anime Cyber City Oedo 808 are cons serving astronomical sentences on a prison satellite, to the tune of 300 years or more. For duty served, they get a few years of that sentence taken off, though if they screw up a job or piss off Hasegawa, the warden, time gets added to their sentences — if he doesn't just pop their collars, that is.
- Taken to its logical conclusion in Soul Eater when the witches' Kangaroo Court sentences Free (who's functionally immortal, Nigh Invulnerable and was already serving an indefinite sentence when he was introduced and broken out of their jail) to multiple death sentences. Of course, he gets off lightly compared to Death the Kid (the son of the Grim Reaper himself) who they sentence to a million death penalties.
- The Daltons are serving a 4200-years hard labor sentence in the beginning of La Ballade des Daltons before escaping.
- In another Lucky Luke comic, an escaped convict lampshades this when his hostage tells him that if he turns back now, he'll get a lighter sentecne. The convict responds with "I can't see much of a difference between being sentenced to 236 or 295 years in prison".
- In Le Grain de la folie Achille Talon expects being sentenced to 745 years (with mitigating circumstances) for breaking in Surrender's base.
- In Malcolm X the main character's friend, Shorty, faints because he think he will be victim of this trope.
Malcolm X (voiceover): Shorty thought he [the judge] hit us with 114 years, until I explained "concurrently." It meant a minimum sentence of 10 years hard labor at the Charlestown State Prison.
- In Sky High, there's a passing mention that Baron Battle had received a quadruple life sentence, with no chance of parole until after the third.
- In the Red Dwarf episode "Justice", Rimmer gets sentenced to ten thousand years imprisonment. Subverted as he is expected to be able to serve his sentence and be released at the end since he is a hologram. Of course as always Status Quo Is God and the Reset Button is hit by the episode end.
- Officer Shrift from The Phantom Tollbooth regularly sentences offenders to prison terms of millions of years, merely because he can. Subverted in that he's not good at keeping track of time and thus assumes that anyone who escapes his city's Cardboard Prison has served out his or her time.
- In Jack Blank, the Calculans sentence the Space Pirate Solomon Roka to 942 years in prison... for operating without a license. The length of the Calculan year isn't known, but 942 is still a lot of them.
- In Artemis Fowl Mulch Diggums got a total of 300 years for his burglaries against "Mudmen"; subverted as fairies live very long.
- In Oz, Chris Keller is sentenced to 88 years with parole accessible in 50 before being sentenced to death, sentence overturned eventually.
- Subverted with Omar White: while he is sentenced to 75 years, he's up for parole in 20.
- In Cocaine Blues Willy Lee end sentenced, for murdering his girlfriend, to:
99 years in the Folsom pen99 years underneath that ground
- Can happen in Liberal Crime Squad:
Sgt.Pepper, you are sentenced to 31695 consecutive life terms in prison.
- Trauma Team: After the Cumberland incident, CR-S01 was arrested and recieved a 250-year life sentence.
- The titular Megamind was sentenced to 88 consecutive life sentences for his crimes against humanity and Metro City. Largely meaningless, since he's able to waltz out the front door of his Cardboard Prison, and back into his functional laboratory cum lair.
- At the end of the Looney Tunes short "Baby Buggy Bunny", after Baby Face Finster has been jailed, Bugs Bunny shows up and gives him this classic line;
- Adventure Time: In the episode Too Young, The Earl of Lemongrab succeeds the throne from Princess Bubblegum after she was turned into a child. He's a tyrant who routinely gives these kinds of sentences to the candy citizens throughout the episode at the drop of a hat, and when Finn and Bubblegum pull a prank on him his line when sending them to the dungeon has become a meme by itself.
Lemongrab: "ONE MILLION YEEEAAARS!! DUNGEON!" *jail door slams*
- Darron Anderson, in Oklahoma, was sentenced to 11,250 years for burglary, robbery and rape after appealing.note
- Bobbie Joe Long was sentenced to 28 life sentences, 99 years sentence and one death sentence by Florida for his murders and rapes.
- James Earl Ray got a 99-years sentence for murdering Martin Luther King.
- Jamal Zougal was sentenced to 50,000 years for the 2004 Madrid train bombings. note
- Ronald DeFeo, Jr., perpetrator of the so-called Amityville killings, was sentenced to six consecutive sentences of 25 years to life, hence a minimum of 150 years.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable