Created By: Tzetze on April 27, 2010
A character, usually in a futuristic metropolis, whose job is to carry messages from Point A to Point B. Despite the fact that it's 20 Minutes into the Future, people still need packages, pictures, or high-security messages delivered by hand. Couriers usually have little or no equipment, and travel with Le Parkour. May be justified with the Hand Wave of government monitoring of electronic communications; the couriers may be asked to deliver illegal contraband which would be intercepted by authorities if transmitted over the internet. Examples: Anime
- Last Exile has them flying vanships.
- Get Backers mixes in super powers and takes it to the logical extreme.
- The subject of the story "The Courier" in Flight volume five.
- Johnny Mnemonic may be the Trope Maker.
- Snow Crash
- Chevette Washington, the protagonist in William Gibson's Virtual Light
- The job of the 1/2 the cast of Dark Angel.
- Shadowrun. Runners sometimes get hired to do a courier job. One memorable one was to deliver a dragon's egg.
- I.C.E.'s Cyberspace. The Skateboys is a gang that carries messages and packages while riding motorized skateboards.
- Get Ed is about a whole team of these.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.