Dogs Are Mute YKTTW Discussion
|Dogs Are Mute|
In a world where other kinds of animals do talk, the dog does not.
Rolling Updates, Needs a Better Description Sometimes, a world is full of Talking Animals. When there's a dog around, though, it won't talk, although it is usually a lot smarter than a real dog would be. This is often because the dog fills the role of a pet. It is especially common in animation. See also Furry Confusion. Examples:
- Toto didn't talk until fairly late in the Land Of Oz series.
- Max from The Little Mermaid.
- Dog from WordWorld.
- Blue and all other dogs from Blue's Clues.
- The dogs in the Bambi movies.
- Zig-Zagged in Garfield. Odie the dog almost never talks, but all the other dogs are capable of talking. Lampshaded in this Lasagna Cat video, where one of the quotes from a review of Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties is "Why can every dog talk except Odie?"
- In Tweety and Sylvester cartoons, Tweety and Sylvester would talk but the bulldog who was Sylvester's nemesis almost never did, even though he was clearly intelligent.
- Spunky in Rocko's Modern Life.
- Arthur's dog, Pal. Lampshaded once when the characters observed this trope on TV, and asked how that could happen.
- Pluto of the Mickey Mouse cartoons/comic books, but averted with Goofy.