In a world featuring characters who if not "cartoony"-looking, still look exaggerated and/or "monstrous", a character who is meant to be attractive in universe and the creators want to show it (instead of just saying it) they're likely to be designed so they're more "realistic" (or at least less exaggerated) compared to other characters. See also Cartoonish Companions, which could in at least a few cases be an inversion of this trope. The more realistic characters can end up in the Uncanny Valley, they are often also examples of Nonstandard Character Design. Compare Humanoid Female Animal. Contrast No Cartoon Fish where realism is used for the opposite effect, real fish are ugly non-cute and eatable.
Examples:Newspaper Comics Video Games
- In Tomodachi Life, the Miis' faces will be put on realistically-proportioned bodies when using the Compatibility Tester, possibly because their normal super-deformed bodies would lessen the visual effect of predicting romantic relationships.
- On Animaniacs, Hello Nurse is the most human-looking of the main characters.
- In Max Fleischers Gullivers Travels the handsome prince and beautiful princess are drawn realistically from models, as opposed to most of the other characters which are drawn freehand. (Gulliver himself is rotoscoped.)
- Inspector Gadget uses extremely cartoony proportioning for the male characters, Penny and several other minor females have more realistic anime-like proportioning.
- In Tale Spin Baloo and other Jungle Book characters are largely proportioned similar to their non anthropomorphic counterparts, compared to female characters who are more human proportioned.
- Inverted and played straight in Earthworm Jim. Queen Slug-For-A-Butt is repulsive by human standards but considered incredibly attractive in-universe, however her (unattractive by their species' standards) sister, Princess What's-Her-Name, is incredibly attractive by human (and Terran earthworm) standards.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable