Rough draft, all help appreciated
(Especially help with making this sound less like a rant.)
In mainstream media, an overweight female character is a rare thing. Being Hollywood Pudgy
has little effect besides the comments from herself or those around her, but once she develops a proper gut she is diminished into a stereotype. Not only that, but even in the background, overweight females are a rarity.
Notably, visibly chubby or even rotund male characters are pretty frequently seen, even in recurring or main roles that don't revolve around their weight, making this a Double Standard
Characterisation of overweight females:
- no sexuality: she cannot want or be wanted outside the roles of Chased Chubby or Abhorrent Admirer
- negative body image: she must have Weight Woes or at least think herself ugly
- faulty character: "obviously" she's fundamentally lacking in virtues, otherwise she wouldn't be fat
Set roles of overweight females:
- Abhorrent Admirer
- Brawn Hilda: unattractively strong and masculine (often big) woman
- Fat Girl: insecure, unimportant or both. Often a source of comic relief.
- Grande Dame: (often large) uptight, butt-of-jokes mature lady of status
- Mammy: big black auntie type of slave (or domestic help in post-slavery settings)
Averted when a Big Beautiful Woman
has more to her than being Ms. Fanservice
(I want to put Very Special Episode
This is a Trope In Aggregate
and should not have straight examples.
Anyone know how Shallow Hal
and Hair Spray
play their fat cards?