Stab The Storm YKTTW Discussion
|Stab The Storm|
Villain dies from holding up a sword in a thunderstorm.Better Name Better Name
During the final confrontation between the hero and the villain on a rooftop or other elevated location during a thunderstorm, the hero slips and finds himself at the mercy of the villain. He holds his weapon high, ready to deliver a Coup de Grāce (possibly accompanied by a Pre-Mortem One-Liner), when suddenly there is a bright flash and the villain is no more (or at least stunned, allowing the hero to finish him off). See also Improvised Lightning Rod.
- In one of the Redwall books, the heroes are caught by surprise during a storm at sea by the Big Bad and her Dragon. He grabs a spear, pulls back... and is fried by a lightningbolt.
- Batman Vampire: As Batman and Dracula are fighting, Dracula gains the upper hand long enough to raise his sword and get hit by lightning, stunning him long enough for Batman to throw him off so he ends up Impaled with Extreme Prejudice.
- In the lead story of World's Finest #161 (volume one), the future Batman XX is fighting Joker XX on the planetoid Thorium, which is racked by constant thunderstorms. The fight moves to the top of an abandoned weather control tower, and Joker XX picks up a "lightning force attractor" to bash the temporarily downed Batman XX with. He raises it above his head, stabbing the sky--Joker XX does not survive.
- Usagi Yojimbo: Jei's Blade on a Stick proves to be a bad weapon to use in a thunderstorm, as he ends up a pile of cinders. The demon possessing him, however, just needs a new host.
- Aversion in the film version of Lord of the Rings, when Gandalf fights the Balrog on the mountain's peak his sword is struck by lightning. It is contained by the sword, and Gandalf uses it to smite its ruin on the mountainside.
- Invoked by the player in Ōkami: when Ninetails raises his pronged sword, that's the cue for Amaterasu to connect one of the lightning clouds in the background to the sword, electrocuting Ninetails and leaving him vulnerable. This also applies to the Final Exam Boss, Yami.
- Inversion in Skyward Sword: in the battle with Demise, lightning is constantly crashing around you. In order to beat him, you must hold your sword up until a lightningbolt hits it, and use to throw a supercharged Sword Beam at Demise, stunning him. That is, if he doesn't do it to you first.