A character, usually The Smart Guy, always has to back up their ideas or theories with hard research before they tell their friends, even in situations where it might be a better idea to tell people quickly (this usually has ramifications for the plot later on). They may literally go to the library, use the internet or, in extreme cases, carry a Great Big Book of Everything around with them. Whatever method they choose, they aren't happy unless they can consult the facts before acting. [[foldercontrol]] [[folder:Literature]]
- Happens a lot in Harry Potter. In Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, just as the Power Trio are about to go out to the Quidditch pitch, Harry hears the mysterious disembodied voice that he's been hearing on and off all year. Hermione exclaims that she's just realised what it could be and runs off to the library to check. Harry asks Ron why she couldn't just tell them, and the latter explains that it's because her philosophy is "When in doubt, go to the library." Of course, she gets petrified before she can tell them what she's worked out.
- She also does this earlier in the book when she is desperate to get a copy of Hogwarts: A History out of the school library to look up the legend of the Chamber of Secrets.
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, when the trio are making their preparations for leaving the Burrow, Hermione announces that she's bringing a load of books on Horcruxes with her. Ron's response is "Of course, I'd forgotten that we'd be hunting down Voldemort in a mobile library."
- For three years, this was Buffy the Vampire Slayer's go-to move, much to her dismay.
- It was also a frequent necessity on Angel, usually with Wes, who was the book guy on that end.
- This is what The Other Wiki exists for.
- Dorothy Ann in The Magic School Bus does this a lot. Her Catch-Phrase is "According to my research..." for a reason. She has a number of plot-relevant great big books of everything in her shoulder bag, which is small and light enough for an eight-year-old to carry...
- Jackie Chan Adventures; One of Uncles favourite pastimes is doing research on the latest evil magic villain. He tends to rope either Jackie or Tohru into doing it quite often too.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.