Proposed as a split from Frickin' Laser Beams, since these aren't beams at all. It's a variety of the generic Ray Gun. These devices usually look in action much like soaker guns: they spit slow, glowy bright-colored bolts or Energy Balls, make "futuristic" zap noises -- and yet for some reason are called "lasers". Mainly the Video Games and Animation trope.
- Lasers in Touhou are rather slow, consist of particles (a la bullets), and you can actually take out a part of one.
- Gradius lasers, which just are long, piercing, fast projectiles.
- Prevalent among the robots in the Sonic the Hedgehog games.
- The first two Fallout games play this straight. 3 and New Vegas avert it, on the other hand.
- G.I. Joe used them all the time.
- In Nexuiz, Laser and Heavy Laser Assault Cannon fire red bolts.
- Painkiller (by Judas Priest) is "faster than a laser bullet" (and louder than an atom bomb).
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.