Clouds that are solid, like platforms. Probably occurring due to the image of clouds in the sky, combined with their apparently solid appearance. Can have several uses. Sometimes, people, gods live on them, removed from man's sight. Others use them as Cool Airships. See also Bubbly Clouds and Fluffy Cloud Heaven. Contrast Fake Platform
Examples[[folder:Anime & Manga]]
- Flying Nimbus from Dragon Ball, which Goku rides around on before he learns to fly on his own, would probably apply.
- "Mickey and the Beanstalk", a segment of the Disney film Fun and Fancy Free. The giant's castle rests on a solid cloud.
- Justified in "The Snowmen" Christmas special of Doctor Who. They can stand on the cloud because it's specially made of "super-dense water vapor".
- Dungeons & Dragons:
- Some cloud giants live on magical cloud islands.
- In early editions, there was a potion that could make clouds it was poured onto solid.
- Module WG7 Castle Greyhawk, Level 4 "There's No Place Like Up". If the PCs climb up a magical rope, they can walk on solid clouds floating high in the air.
- Deities And Demigods Cyclopedia
- The Chinese mythos deity Chih Sung-Tzu rides a storm cloud that can support up to ten beings of any size.
- The Japanese mythos deity Susanowo can often be found riding a storm cloud.
- In the Sumerian mythos, all of the deities have clouds that they can ride on. The clouds can teleport to any place that has clouds in the sky, are immune to all attacks and can carry anything the controlling deity wishes.
- In The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, in one of the later dungeons, there are clouds you can walk on. Also, there are such clouds you need to explore in order to get to the dungeon in the first place.
- Common in the Mario series, where clouds can serve as platforms and even modes of transportation in the case of Lakitus.
- In Sky Sanctuary in Sonic & Knuckles, solid clouds serve as trampolines in order to reach higher areas. This is carried over into its appearance in Sonic Generations.
- In Mega Man 2, there are solid clouds in Air Man's stage. Subverted because you can blatantly see a propeller under it and there is a solid platform one layer behind the cloud.
- In several levels of Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure there are solid clouds which Cosmo has to jump from one to another to get from Point A to Point B.
- Clouds in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic are a strange example. The only ones who can interact with them as if they are solid are pegasi, whose job as a race is to manage the weather. For most other ponies, clouds act as they would in real life without magical assistance.
- Care-A-Lot, home of the Care Bears, is a land of clouds that are solid enough to stand on, but soft enough to poke one's head through to observe the world below.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: Lampshaded in the Water Bending Scroll. Katara mentions that she would love to walk on the clouds passing by. Aang tests this, concluding that "Clouds are made of water."
- 1973/74 Superfriends episode "Menace of the White Dwarf". The villain Raven has his aerial base on a solid cloud.
- On Dumbo, the Delivery Stork carrying Dumbo sits on a cloud to rest and get his bearings. The bundle with Dumbo inside is a little too heavy, though, and the stork has to keep stopping it from falling through.
- The cupids from the "Pastoral Symphony" segment of Fantasia sleep on clouds.
- On Animaniacs, when the Warners try to convince the giant from Jack and the Beanstalk to try gold eggs and meat:
Yakko: Eat them, eat them, on a cloud.
- The Pixar short "Partly Cloudy" features not only solid, but sentient clouds, capable of holding (and creating) the new-born creatures they produce, and all manner of other objects.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable