SlidingScaleOfTrollCruelty Sliding Scale Of Troll Dickery YKTTW Discussion
|Sliding Scale Of Troll Dickery|
How cruel is this guy's trolling?
Trolling seems to mean different things to different people. To some, it means cruel manipulation of people's emotions For the Evulz. To others, trolling is like pulling pranks, yanking people's chains and provoking a reaction for harmless amusement. This scale is about those variations and comes in 5 grades depending on the cruelty of the person in question. How funny the audience finds the trolling and how cruel the "troll" is are not mutually exclusive, though it should be noted that Type 5's are so cruel and malicious that's very rare for them to be funny in contrast to The Gad Fly, who's almost always funny. Lack of understanding of this scale is one of the reasons why gadflies are often mistaken for a Troll on the internet, thus Mistakenly Banned for trolling. Type 1: Harmless Amusement: These characters only seek harmless amusement when they mess with people. Their antics entail minor pranks and good spirited yanking of people's chains to get a reaction. Always either good or solidly neutral at worst. The defining trope for type 1 is The Gad Fly. Examples: Anime and Manga:
- Konata Izumi from Lucky Star is fond of messing with Kagami, but its purely to get a reaction from her.
- Suzumiya Haruhi's Koizumi, mainly to Kyon.
- Wrex from Mass Effect is fond of asking truly outrageous questions to squad mates just to how how they'll react.
- Jade Curtiss from Tales of the Abyss. Borderline type 2.
- Mion Sonozaki from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, especially towards Keiichi. Seems to be how she expresses her affection to him.
- Princess Celestia from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, though some of her more mischevious acts border on type 2.
- Ikki from The Legend of Korra.
- Tomo's antics in Azumanga Daioh are more harmful and jerky than a type 1. Some of her pranks can border on type 3.
- Lady Palutena from Kid Icarus: Uprising, who likes to mess with Pit via telepathy mid battle.
- Shion Sonozaki's normal personality in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is essentially a slightly darker version of Mion's gadfly behaviour. However, in arcs where she snaps, she becomes a type 5. Her favorite targets are Mion, Keiichi, and sometimes even Kasai.
- Also from that series, Satako Houjou, who serves as a prankster version.
- God in Sin Fest behaves like a type 2.
- King Bomi from Avatar The Last Air Bender loves causing mischief and playing pranks, saying "Messing with people is fun."
- Pre Flanderization Bart Simpson from The Simpsons played pranks but got upset when people actually got hurt from them. Later incarnations are type 3.
- Q from Star Trek: The Next Generation is the poster boy of type 3 behaviour.
- Etna from the Disgaea series is very capricious, not caring if anyone gets hurt in her amusement.
- Lambadelta from Umineko no Naku Koro ni isn't so much evil, as completely morally ambigous and hates boredom. Is among the least nasty Trolls in a cast that's full to the brim with them, receiving the nick name of "Trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls."
- The trolls in Home Stuck vary wildly in their posistion on the scale, namely due to many of them being lousy at trolling. None of them are type 5's with the worst being a type 4. Ironically, in their first appearance, they were indeed alien internet trolls.
- Mal in Head Trip, especially the bit about the book spoilers.
- Izaya from Durarara!!. Ironically, he's an actual internet troll.
- The internet troll in Cromartie High School.
- Death Note's Ryuk, who drops his death note out of amusement from the chaos it sows.
- Mera from Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei
- Fenrich (Disgaea4) is here as opposed to Etna since his manipulation is crueler than her's.
- Beatrice (Umineko no Naku Koro ni) spends the first half of the series as a Type 4.
- Discord in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Ironically played by the same person who was Q.
- In Naruto, Tobi's a good boy.
- Kyubey from Puella Magi Madoka Magica has a reputation on the internet for being a very nasty troll.
- The Joker from Bat Man is one the rare examples of a type 5 that's actually funny.
- Uber nasty trolling is pretty much a requirement for followers and daemons of Tzeentch in War Hammer
- Of course the example above also applies to War Hammer 40000.
- BlazBlue's Terumi Yuuki, who's one of the most iconic trolls in all of gaming.
- Bernkastel (Umineko no Naku Koro ni) is the absolute darkest point in the scale, known infamously for her nick name of "Trollkastel".
- The Magic Man from Adventure Time.