Need a weapon that has the same amount of concentrated "get out" as a double-barreled shotgun, but want to keep that cool pump-racking sound
? Need a shotgun for your videogame with More Dakka
? Look no further than the Szyslak Scattergun, a double-barreled pump-action. While very cool, this doesn't actually make a whole lot of sense, especially if it's fed from only a single magazine tube (or none at all
). Hence, nobody makes one. Expect this to be a Short Range Shotgun
most of the time.
- The Simpsons is the trope namer, as Moe Szyslak is frequently shown threatening the patrons with his shotgun, which seems to be a regular double barreled shotgun with the pump thrown on for kicks.
- Though it looks like a regular double-barrel, Ash's boomstick in Army of Darkness makes a pumping sound and can fire off multiple shots before reloading. Bizarrely, he's not even shown pumping it, as his other hand is a chainsaw.
- Id software continued this with the shotgun from Quake III: Arena.
- Marathon 2 featured the WSTE-M5 Combat Shotgun, a double-barreled, sawed-off, pump AND lever action shotgun. Which can be dual-wielded.
- Half Life 2 did this with their shotgun as an alternate fire mode. Strange considering the SPAS-12 only has one barrel.