Do We Have This One
A reversal of So Last Season
: It's a difficult fight against the Big Bad
, and the hero's newer, more powerful powerups and weapons have been destroyed, damaged, or rendered useless. What's a hero to do?
Go back to where the started, using the weapon or Finishing Move
they used to use in the beginning of the show. And what do you know? Despite having been reduced to The Worf Barrage
twenty-five episodes ago, it works!
Anime and Manga
Anime & Manga
- In Gao Gai Gar, Gai is forced to use Hell and Heaven to defeat the final enemy after the Goldion Hammer is rendered useless.
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: The final blow is made by the tiny Lagann, not the absurdly massive titular mech.
- Zoids New Century Zero Bit Cloud has to defeat the Berserk Fuhrer using only the Liger Zero's basic armor.
- Gundam 00: the character's, Setsuna and Ribbon final fight. Both have had their newer mechs trashed by fighting each other, so they go back to original mechs from before the Mid Season Upgrade.
- Naruto: Sasuke finished his super-powered battle against Danzo by using an extremely simple illusion he learned as a child.
- Ayanes High Kick as Ayane's new "pro-wrestling" coach has her "go back to basics" by focusing solely on her kicking ability before he will allow her to compete in a supposed mixed martial arts tournament. She is unaware that he is actually preparing her for a kick-boxing tournament, where none of her wrestling moves will be allowed.
- The War In 2020, when the railguns run out of ammo, the U.S. 7th cavalry break out their gatling guns.
- The Dresden Files, when Harry begins to tutor Molly Carpenter in the ways of magic, he has to completely review his own basic spells before he can teach them to her. This has a handy side-effect of significantly improving his grasp on his own magic.