A character has an embarrassing hobby they don\'t want their peers to know about.
Bob is a pretty cool dude. He has a circle friends, regularly gets invited to parties, and has a hot girlfriend. Deep down though, Bob has a Dark Secret which he has been hiding from his friends and even his family his entire life. A secret, which, if it were to be revealed, would completely ruin his social life. His family would disown him, his girlfriend would dump him, and he would become enemy number 1 of the state. You see, Bob has an embarrassing hobby. In his free time, Bob may be into Live Action Roleplaying, take ballet, or is just a fan of a kids show despite being WAY older than the target demographic. Because of this, Bob will keep this hobby a secret from all of his loved ones to prevent himself from being ridiculed. If Bob actually takes pride in the hobby in question, expect his family and friends to be the one who are embarrassed for him. Compare Closet Geek. May become a Shameful Source of Knowledge if the skills gained in the hobby ever come up.
- Azumanga Daioh: One of Sakaki's defining character traits is her love for cute objects, which she collects. She's especially fond of plush dolls and has an even bigger soft spot for cats. But she hides it from her friends at school, because they have the wrong idea about her and she's too shy to tell them. So she'd be mortified if they ever found out.
- In Zits, Pierce is secretly a scrapbooker and spends a lot of time desperately hiding the fact.
- In the Lord Meren mystery novels, set in ancient Egypt, Meren's secret hobby is juggling beanbags. He does this because it's soothing, occupying his ever-busy mind when he's stressed out; however, as a highborn Egyptian nobleman, he has to conceal this habit because juggling is associated with low-born street entertainers and riff-raff.
- Inverted in Discworld: Nobby is part of the Ankh-Morpork Folk Dance and Song Society and the historical re-enactment society, but doesn't find it embarrassing in the least, while his coworkers do.
- In the Psych episode "Not Even Close...Encounters", a childhood friend of Shawn's, who has grown up to be a rich, successful lawyer with a hot girlfriend, is revealed to have a secret room in his house where he keeps an extensive collection of comic book and sci-fi memorabilia and toys. He begs Shawn not to let his girlfriend know.
- An episode of iCarly ran on the All Girls Want Bad Boys trope until the title character realized her "badboy" had a collection of girly toys. This was a big enough turn off for her to dump him.
- In Midsomer Murders, Troy secretly collected a comic called The Hawk which he was embarassed about. Inspector Barnaby did not seem to mind when he found out, although he thought Troy was a bit stupid for
- On Seinfeld Jerry is secretly a fan of Melrose Place. His Girl of the Week is a cop and doesn't believe him when he says he never watches the show, so she has him hooked up to a Lie Detector and has the investigating detective ask him probing questions about plots going on on MP. Jerry is cool for a while but eventually cracks.
- In The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon Cooper goes to a cellar room in Caltech every day to play keepie-up with a beanbag. He tries to hide it from his friends and Hilarity Ensues when they try to find out what exactly Sheldon does in the half-hour he mysteriously takes every day.
- Mobster Vinnie Gognitti from the Max Payne series collects action figures, as Max finds out in the second game. This is especially embarrassing to Vinnie since he strives project the tough guy aura despite really not being one.
- In The Replacements, Alpha Bitch Sierra is secretly a fan of a geeky sci-fi show but cannot admit to anyone until the episode where she loses her spot on the cheerleading squad is no longer obsessed with being 'cool'.
- In one of the modern Scooby-Doo cartoons, a mechanic whom the gang consider a suspect turns out to have been sneaking around to gather wildflowers. He didn't want anyone to know he collected pressed flowers because it didn't fit his tough-guy image.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.