Created By: HiddenFacedMatt on September 27, 2011 Last Edited By: HiddenFacedMatt on November 16, 2011
YoshiFan300: Yoshi + Giant hacks = Cute Godzilla
theyoshifanboy: So True :)
theyoshifanboy: Though in my opinion, the bigger they are, the cuter they are :3Cuteness is often associated with smallness, but sometimes characters or creatures can look cute despite, or even partly because of, how big they are. This is the essence of the cute giant. Of course, cuteness is not so much about size as about a combination of physical traits that is hard to describe. Nevertheless, the association of cuteness with a giant does end up seeming contradictory. Compare/Contrast Gentle Giant, although some giants can be cute but not gentle, or gentle but not cute. See also Canis Major and Mega Neko, for subtropes. The Huge Schoolgirl might in some contexts also qualify.
- The comments to this youtube video.
Examples:Anime and Manga:
- Suika of the Touhou series is normally pretty small and adorable, but being an oni, she can grow to gigantic size. She's still adorable mind you, but you're probably not thinking such as you're trying to avoid getting squashed by her!
- An episode of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha had a kitten come into contact with one of the Jewel Seeds, which granted its wish of wanting to grow up... and grow it did, becoming as tall as the trees. Despite being giant, it still acted like a kitten, not aggressive at all. Provided the page image for Mega Neko.
- Toy Story 3 has Big Baby, who is a normal-size baby doll who seems big to most other, smaller toys, and Lotso, a normal-size teddy bear who seems big to most other, smaller toys.
- Honey I Blew Up The Kid is all about this; a toddler is made taller than many buildings due to a mistake with a device.
- Ginormica and Insectosaurus from Monsters vs. Aliens.
- Hagrid's brother in Harry Potter.
- The Iron Giant.
- Little Godzilla,◊ from the Godzilla films.
- The Super Smash Bros. series often invokes this with giant versions of small characters.
- Yoshi, pictured above, was a memorable case of this.
- Via a glitch, it is possible to get Jigglypuff to be absolutely huge in Brawl.
- Doshin The Giant, though his game never made it to North America, did have a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee.
- Several Pokémon can fall under this. Snorlax in particular looks like a big cuddly bear-cat thing.
- Clifford the Big Red Dog more or less relies on this.
- Played for laughs on Futurama; the episode Mother's Day reveals that Farnsworth and Mom used to be in a relationship...until she tried to make his latest toy, Cutey McWhiskers 18ft. tall with lasers, causing him to angrily proclaim "18ft. tall things aren't cute, you don't understand me!" and break up. Later they reconcile, Farnsworth admits they're still cute at 18ft. tall then Mom reveals that there's an even taller model and he gets angry again...at first.
- Baby Huey is giant compared to his peer group.
- A lot of the float balloons in the Macy's _____ Day Parades.
- Many animals in real life:
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable