Tall, charming, and strikingly good looking - well-spoken in 5 different languages, and classically trained in even more instruments. Big Man on Campus, former president of the Absurdly Powerful Student Council, valedictorian, and working on their doctorate in a scientific field that most peons out there can't even pronounce. Always wears a suit, until the eventual Shirtless Scene during their (strenuous, of course) excersise routine, that is. They have a lovely smile. However, inside, they're an ugly, writhing pile of Mommy Issues and self-hatred. This guy takes two forms:
- The one who happens to be great at everything, and is loved and respected by the people around him - but he's using his charm and talents to disguise his true nature. Basically, a Villain with Good Publicity who lives their lie every day.
- The guy who tried so hard to be great at everything that he eventually suceeded... But broke himself in the process.
ExamplesAnime & Manga
- Johann Liebert takes this Beyond the Impossible. Everyone loves him... Until he kills them, of course.
- His sister is the nonviolent, severely emotionally-repressed variety.
- Same deal for Light Yagami.
- Yukino Miyazawa from Kare Kano.
- Seto Kaiba mixes this with Villain with Good Publicity.
- Joe/Jack from Fight Club.
- The whole point of the poem "Richard Cory" by Edwin Arlington Robinson.
- Patrick Bateman from American Psycho
- Ozymandias from Watchmen.
- Rotorstorm from Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers is one of these - I put him as an example of "Stepford Smiler" on that page, feeling it was the closest trope to his character type. This would fit much better.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.