Broken Ace YKTTW Discussion
Tall, charming, and strikingly good looking - well-spoken in 5 different languages, and classically trained in even more instruments. Big Man on Campus, former president of the Absurdly Powerful Student Council, valedictorian, and working on their doctorate in a scientific field that most peons out there can't even pronounce. Always wears a suit, until the eventual Shirtless Scene during their (strenuous, of course) excersise routine, that is. They have a lovely smile. However, inside, they're an ugly, writhing pile of Mommy Issues and self-hatred. This guy takes two forms:
- The one who happens to be great at everything, and is loved and respected by the people around him - but he's using his charm and talents to disguise his true nature. Basically, a Villain with Good Publicity who lives their lie every day.
- The guy who tried so hard to be great at everything that he eventually suceeded... But broke himself in the process.
ExamplesAnime & Manga
- Johann Liebert takes this Beyond the Impossible. Everyone loves him... Until he kills them, of course.
- His sister is the nonviolent, severely emotionally-repressed variety.
- Same deal for Light Yagami.
- Yukino Miyazawa from Kare Kano.
- Seto Kaiba mixes this with Villain with Good Publicity.
- Joe/Jack from Fight Club.
- The whole point of the poem "Richard Cory" by Edwin Arlington Robinson.
- Patrick Bateman from American Psycho
- Ozymandias from Watchmen.
- Rotorstorm from Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers is one of these - I put him as an example of "Stepford Smiler" on that page, feeling it was the closest trope to his character type. This would fit much better.