Raye Penber: Look, I know you were an excellent FBI agent... but you're here now as my fiancée, and nothing else.Do We Have This One? Needs More Examples and possibly Needs A Better Title. Rolling Updates. Sometimes, becoming the Designated Love Interest isn't a good thing. This is the process by which a character who was formerly presented as interesting and capable in their own right is stripped of pretty much all their personality - not to mention an awful lot of competence - in favor of becoming a Shallow Love Interest the minute the romantic subplot kicks in. Everything that made them individual is largely ignored from then on: hooking up with their partner is presumed to be the end of their Character Arc and whatever they do after that is little more than Filler. Overwhelmingly likely to be female. May involve picking up the Distress Ball. Compare Chickification. Examples: Anime and Manga
Death Note, Chapter Eight
- Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon. Before he got with Usagi he actually fought monsters. Afterward he just shows up occasionally to encourage Sailor Moon from the sidelines while she does all the work. He's basically just there to ensure the existence of Chibi-Usa and for Usagi to gush over.
- In Death Note, what Raye Penber seems to want former FBI agent Naomi Misora to become. Because Love Makes You Dumb, she agrees with him to the extent she apologizes to him for daring to venture an opinion on the Kira case in front of him. She gets better, but only after Raye gets killed.
- This is done to Hermione in a number of Harry Potter fanfics. Especially likely in Fix Fic attempting to Ret Con the ending to push her into Harry's arms.
- Star Wars Example: Padme/Amidala was continually demoted in each prequel trilogy movie, until in Episode III she did little more than get strangled by Anakin and give birth to the twins.
- The Baroness in GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra. A Dark Action Girl who spends most of her time kicking ass and not bothering to take names right up until the point she gets her memories back and realizes that Duke is the ex-boyfriend she turned on after blaming him for her younger brother's death. She spends the rest of the movie as a Distressed Damsel.
- Abigail Chase from National Treasure.
- Happens a lot to the Bond Girls in middle-era James Bond movies - any competence they may have exhibited in the first two-thirds of the movie will be conveniently forgotten the minute they surrender to Bond's charms. This inevitably leads to their spending the final reel held captive by the villain and calling Bond's name.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable