Some wizards use wands and ritual implements to cast their spells. Some use True Names or a Language of Magic. Some invoke extraplanar beings. Some use Magic Music. And then there's these spellcasters, who wield magic through sexual acts. The sex acts might be a way to raise or transmute power, or could be done as part of invoking The Laws of Magic (specifically the Laws of Association and Contagion) on the mage's partner. For this trope to be in effect, you have to have an actual spellcaster having actual sex for actual magical purposes. James Bond administering a Sex–Face Turn to a minor female villain doesn't count, because he's not a mage, but a wizard using sex to set a mind-control spell on his partner would. While Horny Devils often drain magical/life energy from their partner(s), this trope doesn't kick in unless said horny devil is using the energy to do something. Normally those cases fall under Vampiric Draining instead. Most often, the sex involves two (or more) people, but a downplayed version of this trope has the mage employing A Date with Rosie Palms instead. Few if any of these mages use Sex Magic exclusively. It's more common for that to be one option for a witch/wizard, rather than the only option. Can overlap with Intimate Healing or Deus Sex Machina. Note that this is about having sex in order to create magic: using magic to make people want to have sex with you goes under Love Potion, and using magic to make your sexual activity more fun goes under Power Perversion Potential. Contrast Virgin Power, where those who don't have sex have magical powers. There are several Real Life occult traditions that practice sex magic ... but that's all we're going to say on the topic.
Anime and Manga
- Various Hentai movies and OVAs, some of them with fantastic or medieval settings, have this as their main plot.
- Subverted in Speed Grapher, in which Kagura Tennozu has to be chaste and pure to develop Euphoria virus/powers as "The Goddess". During the time she's a captive of Suitengu and the Tennozu Group (before and after being rescued by Saiga), she's given chemical substances to delay her growth and postpone her first menstruation, which will result in the loss of her powers (presumably because once puberty happens she'll have sex).
- Queen's Blade: Nyx can only use minor fire spells on her own. So, to power up, she allows her sentient staff (Funikura) to bang her. During which, it forces one of its tendrils in her mouth and makes her swallow several large mouthfuls of what appears to be semen. Which results in a near split-personality style transformation, as she changes from doormat to 'revenge mode'.
- In the Nasuverse, bodily fluids can be used as a medium for Mana transfer, with sex being the most efficient method. This is often, but not always, used as an excuse to add sex scenes. The all-ages editions of these media tend to downplay this for obvious reasons.
- In Tsukihime, the twins Kohaku and Hisui are "Synchronizers" who carry large amounts of Mana that can be transferred to others, which has the side effect of suppressing the "inversion impulse" in those with demon ancestors. For most of the story they use this ability by allowing others to drink their blood, but if Shiki becomes close enough to one of the twins he can have sex with them for this purpose. In the Back Story, this transfer was carried out against their will.
- In Fate/stay night, Shirou must have sex in order to transfer some of his Magic Circuits to Saber (in the Fate route) or to receive part of Rin's Magic Crest (in the Unlimited Blade Works route). Most other Masters don't need to do the sex, Shirou's just not so adept at giving energy. Bleached Underpants adaptations replaced these with the infamously bizarre "mana dragon" and "mana dolphin" scenes respectively. In the True End of Heaven's Feel Shirou's mind is placed in an artificial body which requires regular mana infusions from Sakura to sustain itself.
- Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA uses a Bowdlerised version of this Played for Laughs, with Kuro draining Mana from others through French kisses. When Illya asks if Kuro has any other means of transferring mana, we don't hear Kuro's response but it causes Illya to turn red.
- Phil Foglio has used this a few times in XXXenophile stories with a fantasy setting. One story features a mystical order that routinely teaches apprentices how to summon extraplanar beings in order to have sex with them.
- One issue of Promethea notoriously consisted entirely of a sex magic ritual between the hero Sophie Bangs and her Trickster Mentor Jack Faust.
- Among many other forms of magic, witches from Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose partake in sex magic. Especially appropriate, given the high count of naked women.
- In the "Black Science" arc in The Invisibles, Lord Fanny is shown powering one of her spells with masturbation. The Invisibles also includes a rather unusual example in its Para Text: during its early run, the sales of the series dropped notably, and author Grant Morrison (who practices magic in real life) was worried it would get cancelled. To prevent this, he suggested a massive, multi-person "wank-a-thon" on the letters page of one issue. The idea was that all the readers would masturbate on a particular date while focusing on a magical sigil Morrison had provided, and the resultant Sex Magic would stop The Invisibles from getting cancelled. Unfortunately, this particular issue was delayed, so it came out only after the date Morrison had set, though the series was never cancelled anyway.
- Inverted in Empowered. Empowered and her boyfriend Thugboy are both very hot, and are constantly shagging. Their flatmate, the Ambiguously Bi Ninjette, admits that she can use the sexual frustration created by their failure to have sex with her to boost her ninja magic.
- Used at least twice in Hellblazer:
- One arc involved the summoning of a giant dragon. It was neutralized by summoning its counterpart... via threesome.
- Another had a young woman chosen by a cult to bear the Second Coming of Christ, ensuring humanity would be enslaved to the angels. John (who had demon blood in his veins at the time) thwarted that by having sex with her, tainting her so the angel wouldn't go in her.
- Sex Criminals: The premise is that certain people have a Time Stands Still power when they reach orgasm(as it's not something they can just ask about and they're still preteens when they discover it, their names for it range from The Quiet to Cumworld). Two of them randomly hook up with each other (with a mutual "How the hell are you in here?!"), and eventually decide to use their power to rob a bank. However, there are others with similar powers, who act as a self-appointed police force.
- Given the use of sexual imagery when Willow and Tara are spellcasting, as a Getting Crap Past the Radar of hinting at their lesbian relationship, this naturally figures in Buffy the Vampire Slayer Slash Fic. And not just Willow/Tara either - in The Fog of War by Kitty Karnivore, a magical accident leaves Buffy and Spike stranded in a cold wasteland, and they have to reverse the spell through 'ritual' means. When Buffy has a look at the pictures attached, she immediately accuses Spike of having set up the whole thing on purpose.
- Spells and Androids: The Joy of Sex, an Andromeda/Charmed crossover fic, has Phoebe appearing aboard Andromeda after some scrying spell goes wrong. Sex Magic turns out the only type available to send her back to her time before she's stuck in the future permanently.
- Wandering Pilot plays this straight and inverts it. Shinji gains healing abilities that makes the girls of Queen's Blade extremely randy. Upon having sex, he makes them even stronger.
- Sherlock Holmes: the Temple of the Four Orders apparently practices this (or tries to: their "magic" is all mundane stage magic), as villain Lord Blackwood was "conceived during one of our rituals".
- It's implied in Ghostbusters that this is how Lewis (the "key master") and Dana (the "gatekeeper") summon Gozer.
- Heralds of Valdemar: Falconsbane uses a mix of sex magic, nonconsensual BDSM, and Mind Rape to brainwash Starblade. Undoing the damage requires a female Healer with Intimate Healing.
- Jinx High: The villain of the book can (and does) use other forms of magic, but seems to prefer sex magic when it comes to controlling people.
- Sexwitches in the Dante Valentine universe generate Power to cast spells through sexual acts. Unsurprisingly most are employed as prostitutes or strippers and there was a major black-market trade in them before the passage of the Parapsychic Act.
- The Dresden Files:
- Magic is fueled by emotion, and this trope is one way to gather the necessary power. In Storm Front, Victor Sells prepares powerful death curses by holding orgies during thunderstorms.
- Prominent in Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake and Merry Gentry series, both of which feature a protagonist who can cast great works of magic through sexual acts. The only difference is, Anita Blake is part-succubus and Merry Gentry is half-fae.
- Game of Thrones: Melisandre creates a shadow assassin by sleeping with Stannis to absorb his Life Energy.
- Shadow Police: In ''Who Killed Sherlock Holmes?", Kev is able to cast a detection spell by causing Joe to ejaculate at the cardinal points of the magical circle he has set up. Kev notes that this is probably the minimum form of 'sacrifice' that London will accept, and only works because it is a very minor spell.
- Wild Cards: Fortunato's powers are based on, and charged by, Tantric sex.
- The Serial Murders. Occult Detective Richard Jeperson ends up having threesome to conclude a magic ritual, though it's not clear if this is a part of the ritual or everyone just getting worked up.
Live Action TV
- American Horror Story: Coven presents multiple variations of this trope:
- All witches possess at least one unique ability. Zoe Benson discovers her ability to kill people she has sex with when her boyfriend violently hemorrhages to death during their first. They call it "Black Widow" if you needed a label for it.
- Cordelia and Hank Foxx attempt a fertility ritual in hopes that they could conceive. It doesn't work.
Mythology and Religion
- One of several creation myths in Egyptian Mythology had Ra masturbating in order to create the world. There's indications that the Pharaoh needed to re-enact this annually as part of his High Priest duties.
- Some schools of Taoist mysticism used sex to generate jing energy, which would then be transmuted by the practitioner into qi.
- One of the fan-created supplements written under the Open Game Licence for the d20 System was the Book of Erotic Fantasy. It contains extensive rules for all things sexual, including a number of spell-casting classes who rely on sexual activity to use their magic, as well as a selection of spells unique to them that require having sex to cast.
- Warhammer Fantasy / Warhammer 40K: The Chaos god(dess) Slaanesh is the living embodiment of desire, so it has control over (and is fueled by) pain, pleasure and all manners of excess. note While the sex aspect isn't used on the tabletop (not directly at least, but fans are all too happy to make up for its absence), fluff contains a lot of references to pleasure cults that try to obtain hir favor or conduct rituals (summoning daemons, for instance) this way.
- The Sims Medieval: One quest story involves helping a sorceress cast a spell, the final aspect of which involves sleeping with her.
- Super Stupor: One super has the power to force anyone to tell the truth while his dick is inside them. He very much hates this power, since using it is equivalent to rape (and it would take a cataclysmic event for him to consider using it), and the way he found out about it is considered "the best divorce story ever".
Whateley Universe: Sun and Fun Abigail and Nimbus are "in the middle of a very complex working."
- *Abigail... You don't have to do this... there are other ways...*"Oh, but Master! You know how being among the Dead and Dying affects me! Now enough of that!" She initiated coitus in the ninth position of the Kama Sutra, 'Chakrabandha, the Wheel'. As they howled the N'thargo Chant in unison to their coupling, and their victims moaned, and the Synchronic Infindibulator tinkled and droned, the ship slipped into the solid wall of flashing mist, and disappeared from the sight of Lady Jettatura's yacht.Reality itself rippled and wavered. A tear in the very fabric of time and space opened up, and iridescent spheres which would have enraptured any normal mortal mind before rendering it asunder, encircled the liner.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.