Of all the insults in all of the world, whether you're exchanging insults with a friend, letting them know that they're boring, trying to insult someone only for them to take it as a compliment, or telling them "You Fight Like A Cow", there's this insult, the Metaphorical Insult. The Metaphorical Insult is where a character insults another, using a metaphor, such as "Go jump in a lake". Sometimes, if the character that is being insulted is Literal Minded, expect hilarity to ensue as he takes the insult literally and actually jump into a lake. And why should I go into more details? Go jump in a lake! Compare: Boring Insult, Insult Misfire, Lame Comeback, Flowery Insults
Needs More Examples
Examples:Anime And Manga
- In the Ranma One Half OVA episode "Desperately Seeking Shampoo", Ranma tries to get Shampoo to laugh by telling her a joke. Shampoo says that if Ranma wants to make her smile he should "go jump in [a] cursed spring". What Ranma doesn't know is that Shampoo is wearing a cursed brooch that turns her usual affection for him into bitter hatred.
- In The Little Rascals 1933 short "Mush and Milk", Dickie and Stymie get Spanky to stop disrupting their chores by telling him to "sit on an egg". Spanky then finds a hen's nest and does just that.
- Sort of related, in the film version of The Manchurian Candidate, when the bartender is telling the story that accidentally triggers Sgt. Shaw's hypnosis, the bartender recounts how he told his son-in-law, "Go take a taxi, drive to Central Park, and jump in a lake". Shaw takes this as an order, and follows the instructions.
- A Garfield strip had a spider tell another to "Go bite a black widow", after said spider gets swatted by Garfield.
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer: In "Something Blue" Willow, unknowingly suffering from Power Incontinence, says that Giles "can't see anything" and he becomes blind; also:
Willow: (talking to Xander) Spike's more important than me. I get it.Xander: Buffy's gotta find out what's up with those commandos. Right now she needs Spike.Willow: Well, fine. Why doesn't she just go marry him?Buffy: It's just so sudden. I don't know what to say.Spike: Just say yes, and make me the happiest man on earth.Buffy: Oh, Spike! Of course it's yes!
- Lorne suffered similar problems on Angel, telling Gunn to "mark his territory" which makes him compusively piss on things, made Spike be happy by telling him to think positively, and Angel & Eve to "get a room" which makes them have sex with each other - and they don't even like each other.
- In From The Earth To The Moon, one geologist working with the Apollo 15 mission shouts "You wouldn't know a regolithic basalt if it fell on your head!" during an argument with a NASA official.
- In the Porky Pig cartoon "Paying the Piper", a cat who's agonizing Porky gives him a series of these ("Ah, your sister smokes cornsilk!" "Ah, your brother blows bubble gum!"). At one point, Porky wonders how the cat knows so much about his family. In the end the cat gets his comeuppance and Porky returns with a methaphoric insult of his own.
- On one Screwy Squirrel cartoon, Screwy tells the dog to go lay an egg. The dog leaves for a moment and returns with an egg.
- Literal Minded version referenced in a Treehouse Of Horror episode of The Simpsons where kids are being killed & eaten by the school faculty.
Skinner: I'm going to enjoy devouring you, Bart Simpson. Yes... I believe I'll start as you've so often suggested by eating your shorts...
Needs More Examples
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable