"We will address the sexposition issue with a 20-minute brothel scene involving a dozen whores, Mord the Jailer, a jackass, and a large honeycomb."
Sexposition is the practice of combining plot exposition
with sex scenes, in order to tell the viewer about things they need to know to understand the plotline in a way that will hold their attention slightly better than just two characters talking. It's used generally on US cable channels (particularly HBO
), which can get away with more nudity than other networks and want to make the most of it.
The term "sexposition" is a fairly new one. It was coined in 2011 by TV critic Miles McNutt
to describe the numerous such scenes on Game of Thrones
, which features a number of characters who are or frequent prostitutes and has become known for taking the sexposition techniques to new heights. It has, however, been retroactively applied to older shows including The Sopranos
Sometimes this works too well.
The viewer is drawn towards the scene but misses all the exposition.
This can lead to the show being Best Known for the Fanservice
. Sexposition may be supplied by a character undergoing Coitus Uninterruptus
Compare I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!
when a female character uses her ... assets to persuade another character.
Has nothing to do with sex positions.
Seriously, get your head out of the gutter
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Ninja Scroll has an important strategy meeting which the authority figure coldly attends while in the middle of a Coitus Uninterruptus.
- Mnemosyne used something similar. In one episode where Rie Kugimiya's character Mimi had an orgy with a group of other immmortals, there was a voiceover that dicussed their battle plans against the antagonist Apos.
- In GUN×SWORD Fasalina made love to Michael Garret as she explained The Claw's plans of world destruction to him.
- When Ichigo is training to get Bankai, the exposition for what Bankai is and how to get it is explained by a Shameless Fanservice Girl whom the audience is introduced to stark naked.
- When Ichigo is training to master his inner Hollow, the conversation is intercut with dialogue about a young perverted woman's Porn Stash.
- When Ichigo is training to get his zanpakutou back after it breaks, one segment of the training is done by a rather plump woman...who can suddenly become very slim, except while retaining huge boobs.
- In an episode of Naruto, the title character is teaching Konohamaru the basics of the Rasengan. Which are 1) Rotation (Konohamaru imagined a half-naked girl pole dancing), 2) Power (it comes as a dangerously sexy woman), and 3) Compression ("compress it all into an ultimate sexy pose!") And then Naruto gets startled at what Konohamaru's thinking. To be fair, the latter expects the former to teach a super-perverted technique as he thinks it's "usual" for him to do.
Film — Live-Action
- In the beginning of the film, there's an exposition where a nude young woman is basically molested by some of the ugliest creatures you've ever seen.
- Then, the above scene is reversed when The Mole goes to Xerxes and is tempted by Xerxes unleashing hordes of sex slaves to pleasure him, despite his deformed appearance.
- In Shakespeare in Love, an early scene with the theatre manager has him discussing the staging of the play while having energetic sex with a prostitute; as with many instances of Sexposition, this one overlaps with Coitus Uninterruptus.
- James Bond:
- In a meta sense, the title sequences from From Russia with Love onwards put the credits for the cast and crew next to* various attractive women, and usually even show scenes from or symbolic images related to the films' plots projected or digitally added onto said attractive female bodies.
- More prosaically, a few Bond movies use the franchise's signature sex scenes to provide important dialogue or plot points, usually involving the villain's mistress or henchwoman revealing parts of the Evil Scheme to Bond.
- As mentioned above, the Trope Namer is Game of Thrones, via a reviewer. As seen in the page quote, it later got picked up by the show's creators.
- A lot of the show's exposition takes place in brothels or during private visits in the early seasons. Why they divulge so many secrets and plot relevant info to their whores and one night stands is anyone's guess.
- One episode has a scene where Littlefinger is training Ros and another new prostitute by having them go to town on each other, all the while talk about his plan to take over.
- In Penn & Teller: Bullshit!, they not only did this regularly, they lampshaded it, pointing out that the only reason for having naked women in this scene was so that you'd sit and listen to a boring explanation of this week's topic.
- The Sci Fi Channel Earthsea miniseries had King Tygath and Kossil expositing their plot to take over the temple on Atuan and release the Nameless Ones as Kossil stripped to join Tygath in bed.
- In Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, there's actually a mechanic where you can press a button to stare at EVA's breasts while she exposits.
- Deadpool: In order to lead Deadpool into another area that will give them room to work with, Cable also explains that there's also a big-breasted woman who claims to be his biggest fan. There is none, and when he thinks that there is, he's actually groping Cable.
- Variation: In the Team Fortress 2 comic "A Fate Worse Than Chess" Saxton Hale explains something he dubbed "Explosition" where you have to make the exposition more interesting. He proceeds to make a video where he describes the current situation to the Mercenaries while wrestling with a Yeti.
- This is the idea behind Naked News. Attractive women strip down while reading the news of the day. It also had a Spear Counterpart using attractive men from 2001-2007.