Physical attraction should ALWAYS be ignored and reviled. If a man likes the cheerleader
or a woman likes the jock
, they are either a jerkass are have a life lesson on the way.
If a work does not depict Beauty Is Bad
than it is in danger of being considered Reality Is Unrealistic
Humans seems to be required to ignore their physical desires and pursue the oily pimple covered nerd
over the quarterback with the great hair
and flirt with the heavy girl in the corner
over the blue eyed red haired cheerleader
Remember, if you are looking for more than a quick fling than you are much more likely to find it arms of the chubby flag girl and the chess club
captain than in the arms of the pretty boy actor
or the the swimsuit model.
This tropes in NOT
about the attractiveness of the person, but the attraction TOWARDS
that person and how that attraction is regarded by others.
If you are looking for tropes about what beauty means see some of the following:
Beauty Is Bad
, True Beauty Is on the Inside
, Beauty Equals Goodness
, or Evil Is Sexy
Anime and Manga
- Many fans hate Sakura for this reason when it comes to her infatuation for Sasuke over Naruto. (and sorta Rock Lee)
- Built on this trope.
- The boys, particularly Ron, that are attracted to Fluer Delacour is treated this way by many of the other girls when she is visiting Hogwarts.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- The girls get this treatment from the boys when they show attraction towards Cedric Diggory.
- Xander get's this treatment, both by fans and by his friends, for dating Cordelia.
- He also treats Buffy like this for her dating Angel, though that is also influenced by Angel being a vampire.
- Brian feels this way, and receives lectures for it (Quagmire's infamous rant) because of how he dates only pretty girls.