I realize it's a bit late to be thinking of this trope, since we're all excited about Christmas in December, but looking through the Christmas Tropes
, it occurred to me that we didn't have this, and as it is quite common, I thought we should have this.
We all know when Christmas
is, right? Right in the middle of December, near the beginning of Winter, when it's always covered in snow
, right? Wrong! Christmas happens in the summer too. It's true, some people just can't wait to get into the Christmas Spirit
. So they decide to celebrate Christmas right there in the middle of July. Great concept, no?
This will often serve as the premise for ChristmasEpisodes
in which the show takes place primarily in the summer. All the same plots, motifs, and messages of all other ChristmasEpisodes
will still be present. In fact, expect all the characters to completely forget that it isn't actually Christmas at all.
There is some Truth in Television
as mentioned by That Other Wiki
. Most holiday specials and movies are filmed during the summer season, and some stores do offer Christmas In July sales.
- Rudolph And Frostys Christmas In July
- Ed, Edd n Eddy-No, not Jingle Jingle Jangle. I am of course speaking of Fa La La La Ed, in which Ed gets it in his mind that it's Christmas, although it's July. Of course, the idea spreads to the rest of the kids.
- Ben 10 did have a Christmas episode in the middle of summer vacation. It involves the family discovering a portal to some Christmas World and the elves wanting Grandpa Max to be their new Santa.
- Lizzie McGuire-Aaron Carter makes an appearance to shoot a Christmas themed music video in Lizzie's hometown. The Christmas theme is everywhere, even though it is no where near Christmas.
- Dr. Demento has a regular "Christmas in July" episode, where he plays novelty Christmas songs in July.
- Only Homestar Runner could pull off Decemberween In July