Stopped Clock YKTTW Discussion
Rolling Updates in progress Hoping to launch on Monday (for certain this time)A useful method of telling when a certain disaster/event happened is that all of the clocks have stopped at the same time. This can also happen to individual time pieces that have been damaged. Power cuts can be neatly illustrated with a digital clock flashing '12:00' or 0:00
- Pan's Labyrinth: the dying father breaks a pocket watch so his son can know his time of death.
- In the adventure game Gray Matter, strange and seemingly supernatural events happen around the Oxford University campus, and each time the clock stops at the time of the event.
- The clock tower in Back to the Future stopped after being stuck by lightning, giving Marty and Doc a precise time to use the lighting to time travel.
- The War of the Worlds (1953). After the Martians use their heat ray for the first time, all the watches of the people in the nearest time stop. When this happens, the people notice that all of the watches stopped at the same time.
- The Quiet Earth. When John Hobson wakes up he finds that his watch has stopped at 6:12. As he explores the deserted world he finds that all watches and clocks have also stopped at 6:12.
- Agatha Christie used it, of course. In "At the Crossroads", it's one of the stock detective-story elements faked by the Genre Savvy murderer to make himself look innocent.
- A stopped watch used to be a common method of discerning time of death when the cause of death was a fall from a great height. This was abused in at least one episode of Midsomer Murders to make a murder look like a suicide.
- A minor plot point in Ashes to Ashes. Whenever Drake asks Keats for the time, he gives her the same time: the minute Drake died.
- In Chinatown, Jack places a watch under the car of the person he's tailing. That way he could know at what time he left by the time the watch was run over.
- One episode of Columbo involved the time of death being established by a broken watch. Columbo figured the watch must have been planted on the victim's body with the time pre-set, because he was a tough sportsman who wouldn't have wanted to be seen dead wearing such a wimpy, fragile timepiece.
- Johnny Bravo: Subverted. A jet cutting a power line stops Johnny's clock at 12:00, and after seeing similar events, he's convinced that time has stopped for everyone but him.
- In FEAR 2 all clocks have stopped after the events in FEAR.(Bonus points if you can tell me the time)
- In Dead Space 2 all the clocks have stopped (permanently) at 12:00, odd, considering they are powered L.E.D clocks that would normally keep going, or at least flash.
- Fallout 3 has every single clock you see stopped at the exact time the Chinese attack occurred. Seems like some of them would have been wind-up or something...
- The Ace Attorney series use this idea many times - twice in the first game alone.
- In Silent Hill: Homecoming, all the clocks in town are stopped at (I think) 2:06.
- In the Agatha Christie pastiche Interactive Fiction game Death Off the Cuff, the victim's watch stopped at the time that he was stabbed. Except that, much like in the actual Christie example, it was faked to draw suspicion away from the perpetrator of said stabbing.
- There's a The Far Side cartoon where police are investigating a shooting at a clock store. The place has been shot to pieces, all clocks are reading the same time as each other, and the detective is wondering "Now if only we could determine the time of death...." It would make a great page image.
- The Hiroshima Peace Memorial features a clock whose hands have stopped at the time the A-bomb was dropped, 8:15.