Harem Hero YKTTW Discussion
You know he is the hero. You know he is surrounded by an army of girls. The girls may be the standard Magical Girl, the Cute Bruiser,the Action Girl...The girls are often of super-powered origins or are amazingly talented in someway. All these girls are romantically attracted to him one way or another.He may or may not have wanted this army of powerful,talented girls. Either way, he has an overpowered harem, and he is to use these girls to his advantage to save the world.Generally, there are two types of harem heroes: Type 1: Hero lacks power to fight the threats by himself and let other powerful heroines to fight against threats.Since the main fighting force for Type 1 characters are heroines, he tends to gain additional, powerful female characters as the story progresses. The hero in type 1 generally acts as a power generator support to the girls.It is often that these heroes does not want to accept the reality of their power, and are quite weak willed, often they wish that things would go back to the way it was before.A type 1 hero is extremely similar to Pokemon trainers,but with all the Pokemon replaced by girls. Type 2: Hero can fight against threats by himself, holding his own against enemies if required.In this setting, heroines often function as a Faux Action Girl, or as Nakamas in battle. In reality, there are sub-categories of type 2s. Type 2A are the heroes that lack experience and are still somewhat innocent in the new world they are dragged into. They are initially treated as Type 1, but eventually evolve and willing to learn how to fight.Type 2B are heroes that are strong and are willing to fight from the onset of the series. Note: a character who evolve into Type 2 too late in the story would have to be viewed as Type 1.
Examples:Manga and Anime:
- To Love-Ru:Rito Yuuki is a type 1 with absolutely no offensive nor defensive capability. He is a plain human.
- To Aru Majutsu no Index:Touma definitely classifies as type 2B.
- Mahou Sensei Negima!!: In this series, Negi has an army of female students with whom he is bonded with to help him save the world.He is a type 2A, as he does not actively engage in battle until much later.
- Infinite Stratos: Not only does Ichika possess a harem, he is also willing to fight alongside the girls who are skilled IS Representatives from other countries. He definitely classifies as type 2B.
- Sekirei:Minato depends on his Sekirei and does not fight, hence he is a type 1.
- Zero no Tsukaima:Saito is willing to fight alongside with the female leads from the very onset of the series. He is a type 2B.
- Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Girls: As skilled as Muneakira is with his sword, he never fights with it, and usually acts as a support to the female lead. He is a type 1.
- Rozen Maiden: comes to mind - despite the lack of sexual tension (though Your Milage May Vary, depending on fetishes), it's still about a guy, surrounded by girls with supernatural powers, who use him as a 'battery'. Type 1, in other words.
- Kore wa Zombie desu ka?: the protagonist Ayumu jumps very early on in the series into combat as well as earn his harem on the way through. Type 2B definitely.
- Rosario + Vampire: Tsukune is type 1, since he couldn't fight until he (unwillingly) Took a Level in Badass much later in the series. Type 2A if you include the sequel manga,however.
- Maken-ki!!:Takeru is a type 2A. He does not fight originally, until he man up and trains for his weakness.
- Kämpfer: The male Natsuru is a type 1.
- Night Wizard: Tenji is a standard Type 2B.
- Omamori Himari:Yuuto is a type 1, even though he later trained to be powerful, his powers are generally activated by chance and are used to augment the powers of the female leads.
- Koihime†Musou:In the original visual novel/strategy game series of Koihime Musou,the protagonist Kazuto is a mixture between type 1 and type 2A. He can hold his own in fights, but most of the fighting is conducted by his female generals.
- The entire series of SakuraTaisen videogames qualify for this - as does the associated anime. The hero, in this case, tends to balance between 2A and 2B - always a combatant, but sometimes a green rookie at the start of the game.
- Agarest Senki:Leonhardt and his descendants are a succession of 2Bs.
- Kyon: Big Damn Hero:Kyon starts as a type 2A.