- Peter Griffin: I had such a crush on her. Until I met you Lois. You're my silver medal.
Examples:Anime Comic Books Film
- In Shaun of the Dead Dianne reveals that she knows full well she's this to David, who's jerkass behaviour towards Shaun is at least partly because he's jealous of his relationship with Liz.
- Myra from Family Matters was one of the biggest examples of this from Live Action Television. Steve Urkel had a long standing crush on Laura while Myra was madly in love with him. Since Laura rejected Steve, Steve made it known to Myra that while he would date her, he would dump her the second he thought he had a chance to get with Laura. And she accepted those terms.
- REM's "The One I Love" is often thought to be a love song, but the lyrics "another prop to occupy my time," make it clear that the subject of the song is this.
- Peter from Family Guy once calls Lois his Silver Medal when thinking about the girl from high school he never had the courage to ask out.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.