Seen It a Million Times How Do We Not Have This
? Needs a Better Name
Alice and Bob are about to have sex, or are in the midst of the act, but another person interrupts somehow. They have to stop to deal with the interruption. This trope can be played for comedy, drama or both. Can often lead to a Relationship Reveal
. If they choose to keep going, its Coitus Uninterruptus
. If they try and keep things secret (if there is a knock on the door), it could lead to a Closet Shuffle
. A subtrope of Moment Killer
Compare to Caught with Your Pants Down
for the solo version of the trope. A supertrope of Primal Scene
and Parents Walk In at the Worst Time
. Sister Trope
to Sorry to Interrupt
Anime and Manga
- This happens to Lupin and Fujiko, in The Secret Of Twilight Gemini, just as they're getting started. Sadachiyo and his men bursts into their hotel room to assassinate Lupin, forcing him to bail in his underwear, and leaves Fujiko stark naked with nothing but a bedsheet to defend herself!
- Averted the second time 'round, which takes place in a Morrocan police station! Lupin scores.
- Running Joke in Shakespeare in Love.
- Mr. and Mrs. Smith have a bout of Destructo-Nookie interrupted by the neighbours...who brought the police.
- In Hot Tub Time Machine Adam, Nick and Jacob walk in on Lou having sex with Adam's sister, meaning Jacob witnesses his own conception...sort of. When he tries to attack Lou, he disappears. Coitus Uninterruptus has to ensue to ensure Jacob lives.
- Running Joke in in Going the Distance too- from Dan DJ'ing Erin and Garrett's first hook-up, to her sister walking in on them having sex on her dinner table...and her husband eating a midnight snack to them walking in on her sister and her husband dry-humping.
- In the Japanese movie The Eel, the protagonist finds his wife having intercourse with another man and kills him right then. He spends eight years in prison; his life right after release is the actual story.
- Happens in the British film Sir Henry At Rawlinson End when in a flashback Seth Onetooth finds his wife Rosie carrying on with Henry's brother Humbert in the bushes. This leads to Humbert "accidentally" getting shot by Henry, and explains why his ghost cannot rest until it has found trousers.
- In The Secret Of My Success, Brantley (Michael J. Fox) ends up having an affair with his boss's wife, Vera. When she comes to his office, looking for seconds, they get busted when her husband shows up unexpectedly, to talk to him.
Live Action TV
- Captain Armand Pahner walks in on two of his sergeants (Eva and Julian) in the Prince Roger series.
- A large portion of the drama in A Song of Ice and Fire is sparked by Bran seeing Cersei and Jamie Lannister having sex.
- Abby has to hide under Brody's bed when her drunk brother Richie turns up for a midnight visit in Against The Wall.
- Lip Service, in the fourth episode when the interruptor turns out to be the husband of one of the women who is hoping to watch the two of them have sex.
- Running gag in Six Feet Under. Nate and Brenda get interrupted twice, first by Brenda's brother, then Nate's mom.
- Game of Thrones:
- The last scene of episode one. With horrific and long-reaching consequences.
- Played for Laughs when Jamie Lannister walks in on his brother at brothel in Winterfell and tells him to hurry up, then proceeds to send in more prostitutes in order to hurry him up.
- Played for Laughs in a The Big Bang Theory episode. Leonard was sleeping with a girl named Joyce Kim and was having sex with her when Sheldon decided to interrupt by knocking on the door. Leonard was thinking of ignoring him, but Sheldon knew he was being ignored. Sheldon then came in to remind Leonard of their Roommate Agreement. Due to its terms, Joyce decided to leave.
- Friends has Monica forced to hide under the sheets and Chandler pretending to have A Date with Rosie Palms when Joey walks in on the two of them in London.
- An episode of Veronica Mars has an (adult) hacker's relationship with a student (minor) at the school being exposed by Veronica and her camera. She even says "It's satisfying to be the interruptus in somebody else's coitus."
- Combat Hospital has Graham interrupting Simon and Rebecca at the undressing-and-foreplay stage with some pretty serious news for Simon. Rebecca hides, then slips out the back.