I Need You Amendment YKTTW Discussion
|I Need You Amendment|
Character A tells Character B that they matter quite a lot to Character A.Better Name Needs Examples Tropeworthy?
Bob wants to drive home a point about how important Alice is in two ways. The first way is that Alice is important to either a group of people or The Greater Good because of her knowledge, abilities, or some kind of emotional/spiritual role. The second way, which is usually where the weight of the scene lies, is that Alice is personally important to Bob on an emotional level, most often romantic but can be platonic as well. This scene could be a moment of realization for Bob as well. Compare Anguished Declaration of Love, which resolves or confirms UST while We Need You...I Need You (very WIP title) may simply be an indication of deep affection, or even an affirmation between an already established couple. Apologies if this falls under stock phrases, I know those aren't being added anymore. I've looked for this trope and haven't had any luck finding it.
ExamplesFilm - Animated
- Megamind. Roxanne Ritchie uses this on the title character.
Roxanne: Megamind, I don't even know if you are listening, but if you are, you can't give up. The Megamind I knew would never have run from a fight, even when he knew that he had absolutely no chance of winning. It was your best quality, and you need to be that guy right now. The city needs you, I need you.
- The Empire Strikes Back has some fun with this when Leia is trying to convince Han to stay at Echo Base and their Belligerent Sexual Tension is building up.
Han: "We need"? Well, what about "you need"?Leia: "I need"? I don't know what you're talking about.
- Comes into play in the "cone of silence" scene in Twister. Bill tries to show Jo that she is needed by the others, but finally confesses that he needs her.
Bobby: We need you. Especially me.Ellen: I know.
- During season 6, Bobby tells Ellen this in an alternate reality in which they are married, but they may have to give up that reality for the greater good and return to the one where she has been dead for several years.
Dean: We're family. We need you. I need you.
- Then once more in season 8, when Dean uses this in his I Know You Are In There Somewhere Fight with Castiel.
Abaddon: We can make this right, can't we, Cain? Come back to us. Come back to me.
- And again in season 9, when Abaddon is possessing Colette and trying to convince Cain to rejoin the knights of hell:
- Ashelin gives this to Jak in Jak 3: Wastelander when she tries to convince him to come back to Haven City to help fight the bad guys.
Ashelin: Jak, your friends need you. I...need you.