A human has befriended a small, animal-like character. Due to its small size (or for safety purposes), the human carries the animal-like chracter in his/her backpack.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- In the Pokémon anime, Ash occasionally offers this to help Pokémon without a Poké Ball:
- In the episode "Pokémon Paparazzi'', this is how Pikachu hides from Todd (a man who is trying to take Pikachu's photograph).
- In the two-part episode "Pokémon Ranger - Deoxys' Crisis!", Pikachu hides in Ash's backpack to be protected from geomagnetic disturbances caused by intense solar wind (which only occur once every decade).
- In the movie "Zoroark: Master of Illusions'', Celebi does this to hide from Grings Kodai, the film's villain.
- In Gremlins, when Billy leaves home to kill the gremlins that are terrorizing the city, he carries Gizmo with him in his backpack.
- In Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2, Sam becomes friends with a living strawberry, nicknames it "Barry", and carries the creature in her backpack in some scenes.
- In My Little Pony: Equestria Girls, human Twilight hides dog Spike in her backpack because animals are not allowed on the high school grounds.
- Mr. Bogus, as well as his cousin Brattus, often hide in Tommy Anybody's backpack when accompanying him to a place of interest.
- A rare non-human example: Kazooie the Breegull from the Banjo-Kazooie series spends most of her time inside Banjo the Bear's backpack.
- Another non-human example is Snott, a mucus-like creature sometimes carried in Earthworm Jim's backpack.
- Subverted with Clank of the Ratchet & Clank series - he just happens to be a robot strapped to Ratchet's back.
- Similarly subverted with F.L.U.D.D. from Super Mario Sunshine, which is a robot attached Mario's back via a built-in belt.
- In the Adventure Time video game Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage?, Finn carries Jake in his backpack (Jake is feeling lazy).
- An Indian and a cowboy that once were toys but were brought to life in The Indian in the Cupboard are brought to school by young Omri in his backpack. The two are almost discovered, but they freeze well enough to be mistaken for figurines.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.