- Harry: He shaves.Nikki: So do you sometimes.Harry: It's not from his chin Nikki.*Nikki looks shocked*Harry: Perhaps you should get out more?Nikki: Perhaps you should stay in more.—Silent Witness, "The Lost Child"
There's a character who pretty much have someone they know who isn't really happy with how they're living their life. Because of this, they will objectively say to the character "you need to get out more." What they mean by that is everyone else is having fun in the world or is paying their debts to society while the character sits on his couch playing video games and watch TV, remaining oblivious and/or disinclined to the affairs of reality. As difficult as it sounds, the friend does have a point. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean that the character will put any effort of partaking newer activities. Loners and introverted characters aren't safe for this either, for others would tell him that he seriously needs to stop being alone all the time and be around people, specifically telling him to make some friends. The loner character will often rebuff their comments, often with a snarky retort. Then again, the time he will get out of his shell depends on the situation. Often related to Loners Are Freaks if others disapprove a character enjoying his/her solitude. If a group of characters actively get him to see the world, then it's a case of Loony Friends Improve Your Personality. Definitely Truth in Television to those who have been told by others that they need to get involved with the world instead of doing ordinary things. Common characters like the Hikikomori, Basement-Dweller, or The Hermit will end up in being told this. Also related to You Need to Get Laid where a character is implied by others that he needs to get sexually involved to ease his stress or whatever he may be going through.
- The trailer for The Naked Gun 2 1/2 has the saying "If you only see one movie this year... you've got to get out more often."
- From The Count of Monte Cristo, Edmond and Luigi were talking about Japaco after making an agreement of the former's knife fight against him:
Luigi: Oh, and by the way, Jacopo is the best knife fighter I have ever seen.Edmond: [unmoved, sarcastically] Perhaps you should get out more...
- In Robin Hobb's Tawny Man Trilogy, after the events of The Farseer Trilogy, Fitz has secluded himself in a cabin in the middle of nowhere. Starling tells him it's not good for a man to cloister himself away so.
- In Silent Witness, considering their Slap-Slap-Kiss relationship, the page quote shows that Harry tells Fragile Flower Nikki that she should get out more, only for her to respond that he should get in more.
- In the Stargate Atlantis episode "Rising":
Dr. Carson Beckett: *about Teyla* How come I never make friends like that?Dr. Rodney McKay: You need to get out more.Dr. Carson Beckett: We're in another galaxy - how much more out can you get?
- A frequent gag on The Benny Hill Show:
Dowager: I've never been so insulted in all my life!Benny: You need to get out more!
- This appears to be what Grissom told Sara in an early CSI ep-that she needed to get out and get a life. She was also haunted by a victim of the week who was lonely and had a lot of take out food ect, which ended with her going home and throwing out all her own and her catalogs so she could get out more.
- In Avenue Q, the song "There is Life Outside Your Apartment" is all about the rest of the cast trying to get Princeton to go out when he holes up in his apartment after his breakup with Kate.
- From "World's Finest, Part 2" of Superman: The Animated Series where The Joker kidnaps Lois Lane, and meets he meets one of his old friends:
The Joker: Ceasar Carlini, my old pal! Why I haven't seen you since... wait, I've never seen you, have I? You need to get out more.
- Justice League: This is what Princess Diana thought in the episode "Maid Of Honor" where she decides to attend an evening party in Paris. She even told Batman about this while they were dancing together.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.