Lie Back And Think Of England YKTTW Discussion
|Lie Back And Think Of England|
For women, sex is a chore, a duty that must be endured. God knows they don't enjoy the sex act. Headaches, stomache aches and periods can only postpone the unpleasant act. Then it's time to grit your teeth, hike your skirt, Lie Back and Think of England. It should be noted that this absurd phrase is highly discredited, and is usually used to deconstruct the idea that women lack sex drives. All the following examples are parodies. If it has ever been said in seriousness, this trope description will have to change. The sentiment it expresses, however, can be found in full on All Women Are Prudes.
- In Like Water For Chocolate this view is held by both men & women. They have sex only to procreate, they use a special bedsheet between them with just a small hole you-know-where; and before the act they both pray to God, asking forgiveness for any pleasure they might accidentally have while trying to make a baby.
- The Assignment.
Jack Shaw: Don't think of it as cheating on your wife. Think of it as... fuckin' for your flag.
Amos: When in doubt, close your eyes and think of England.
- The Guns of Navarone. Sergeant Miller is trying to force Captain Mallory to kill a traitor.
Miller: Climb down off that cross of yours, close your eyes, think of England, and pull the trigger!Literature
- In one scene in Hunting Ground, from the Mercy Thompson universe, Anna is taking the lead during sex and being particularly active and assertive. Her husband teases her by saying, "Well, I'll just lie back and think of England, then." Her response is that if he's thinking of England, she's not doing it right, and steps up the action.
- Dempsey and Makepeace episode "The Squeeze"
Besides, he's only with us for 12 months. Lie back and enjoy it. Think of England.
- Stargate Atlantis episode "The Return: Part 2"
Richard Woolsey: He put his hand in my forehead. How can you resist that?
Major General Jack O'Neill: Well, I like to close my eyes and think of England.
- Torchwood had "Lie back and think of Torchwood" in the episode "Countrycide".