A sci-fi or exceptionally tech-savvy character needs to use a computer, whether to contact allies, scan for vital data on the Mc Guffin, or precision-target a rabble of mooks. The only problem is, computers have a habit of making even the coolest of characters look a bit geeky, and then there's the whole sitting down issue, the staring into a monitor etc. Far better to somehow integrate the computer onto the person of the character, preferably in a somewhat awesome and futuristic way. The answer? The Data Display Headset - usually a computer screen suspended a few inches in front of the eye by a piece of plastic reaching back to the ear.
Examples:Anime & Manga
- Scouters from Dragonball Z
- A similar device is used for a HUD in Stargate SG 1.
- In Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, the Virtual Display Device.
- Auspexes in Warhammer 40 K
- Pops up all over the place in the Mass Effect Universe.
- Fox McCloud, from Super Smash Bros: Melee onwards.
- Sonic was given one to detect lasers to infiltrate a base and rescue Cream from it. This lead to many "Sonic! What does the scouter say about his power level?" jokes.
- Rose Lalonde in Homestuck has the Hubtopband
- Fry in Futurama gets an eyePhone - this is an interesting example, as the hardware is actually installed between his eyeball and his eye socket.
- The United States military spent loads of money trying to develop something similar in their Land Warrior programme.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable