In many animated shows, there'll be an episode where the protagonist finds a strange egg and decides to hatch it, rather than eat it. Occasionally, the egg hatches into a dangerous creature that causes trouble, prompting the protagonist's friends to demand he let the creature go.
Anime and Manga
- In the first season of Pokémon, Ash finds a Pokemon egg that would later hatch into the Johto Pokemon Togepi at the end of the episode "Attack Of The Prehistoric Pokemon", but it's not until the episode "Who Gets To Keep Togepi?" that the egg actually hatches.
- In the very first episode of The Wuzzles, Eleroo accidentally knocks a Bullfinch egg out of its nest, where it hatches into a baby Bullfinch.
- The Adventures of the Gummi Bears episode "Wings Over Dunwyn" involved all of the Fan-Tailed Zephyrs getting captured by Duke Igthorn and his ogres, leaving behind a single egg that eventually hatches into a baby Zephyr.
- In an episode of Back at the Barnyard, Otis finds an egg that was dropped by an archaeologist. The egg hatches into a tyrannosaurus called Plucky.
- In an episode of Kirby of the Stars, Kirby finds an egg in the nest he was sleeping in, and becomes convinced he layed it. The egg hatches into a baby Galbo.
- In the Futurama episode "Fry Am The Egg Man", Fry finds an egg that hatches into a deadly Bone Vampire.
- In an episode of Phineas and Ferb, Perry supposedly lays an egg and the boys spend the episode constructing a giant platypus butt to hatch it.
- One episode of The Simpsons has Bart killing a bird with a BB gun, and deciding to raise the eggs in her nest because he feels terrible about it.
- Family Guy has an episode in which a rare bird makes a nest in Peter's beard and the EPA refuses to let him disturb her. She eventually flies away of her own accord, but not before laying a clutch of eggs.